Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Development Status - July 2014

Re: Development Status - July 2014

Postby Steve Davis on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:01 am

My 2 cents on all this is slightly different, so I thought it worth posting. For me, Sublime has paid for itself many, many times over. If I have a wish, it's that the future of Sublime is that it *does not* turn into a buggy, feature-laden beast of which only a small fraction of features are truly useful. I prefer Jon's approach to software over the usual hurried/pressured approaches. I am, personally, most happy to wait for thoughtful, stable, and considered updates. For everything else, or for the impatient, there's always add-on packages.
Steve Davis

Postby jbrooksuk on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:43 am

Steve Davis wrote:My 2 cents on all this is slightly different, so I thought it worth posting. For me, Sublime has paid for itself many, many times over. If I have a wish, it's that the future of Sublime is that it *does not* turn into a buggy, feature-laden beast of which only a small fraction of features are truly useful. I prefer Jon's approach to software over the usual hurried/pressured approaches. I am, personally, most happy to wait for thoughtful, stable, and considered updates. For everything else, or for the impatient, there's always add-on packages.

I share this opinion. The amount of time I spend in Sublime Text compared to any other app is ridiculous!
jbrooksuk

Postby Anomareh on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 am

karisublime wrote:version 4

Sigh...
Anomareh

Postby schlamar on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 am

karisublime wrote:he has also started mapping out some frameworks for version 4 which will help guide future development

My two cents for future development

• Focus on a stable core
  • Provide a more extensive API, preferably language agnostic (e.g. with ZMQ)
  • Design the new API with the community
  • Move as much as possible out of core and make it community maintained packages
schlamar

Postby iamntz on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 am

Move as much as possible out of core and make it community maintained packages

For some reasons, i believe that by doing this, more than half of the ST issues will magically be resolved :)
iamntz

Postby jbrooksuk on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 am

schlamar wrote:[*] Move as much as possible out of core and make it community maintained packages[/list]

I'd love the core packages to be on the SublimeText GitHub org. I've forked a few before just to fix some things that are broken/missing (see ImprovedSQL as an example).
jbrooksuk

Postby prmaple on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:08 pm

jbrooksuk wrote:
Steve Davis wrote:My 2 cents on all this is slightly different, so I thought it worth posting. For me, Sublime has paid for itself many, many times over. If I have a wish, it's that the future of Sublime is that it *does not* turn into a buggy, feature-laden beast of which only a small fraction of features are truly useful. I prefer Jon's approach to software over the usual hurried/pressured approaches. I am, personally, most happy to wait for thoughtful, stable, and considered updates. For everything else, or for the impatient, there's always add-on packages.

I share this opinion. The amount of time I spend in Sublime Text compared to any other app is ridiculous!

So true.
prmaple

Postby gslsouza on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:18 pm

IMHO:
if it were written in the blog a lot of questions about the future of the sublime would have ended.
I'm talking about two paragraphs only. Not so hard.
And a lot of belligerent posts would not have reason to be.

Thanks Karisublime for update!!!
gslsouza

Postby mindlube on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Much appreciated thx for update :D
mindlube

Postby sublimator on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:59 am

Anomareh wrote:karisublime wrote:
version 4

Sigh...

Back in the day, before package control, and the countless plugins, and large community, there were just a small group of people excited about a nice new editor, and the possibilities. I'm glad Jon still has the energy, desire and focus to push the envelope, and leave the past behind. People have complained about the disruption / evolution ratio in past releases, but it really hasn't been *that* bad. ST3 starts in an instant and json config is better than the <brackets is="bollix"> days.

Having said that, ST3 still feels much the same in spirit to the windows only, xml configured, editor I fell in loves with years ago. So I'm personally excited, having followed ST development since 0.x, because this will be the release that has everything that's been postponed in ST2 and ST3, and all (or a lot) that's been up Jon's sleeve for `under the hood` changes.

Yeah, there's a few bugs that annoy me, but no data losses or anything serious. Been wanting to know exactly what changed inside buffer modification events? ST4 is the release we're likely to get it. New language grammar system? Ditto.

I'm optimistic this time this time we'll see real change. Vote ST4! haha
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion