Sublime Forum

Package Control Confusion

Just installed package control again, cannot seem to install any packages. Discover packages takes me to the wbond.net site but browse packages does absolutely nothing. Im assuming the browse is supposed to pop up a list of packages that are available for installation no?

0 Likes

It can take a few moments to the load the list. Don’t click/type anywhere as this can cause the panel to disappear.

0 Likes

no, i actually think browse packages is doing absolutely nothing.

There is no visual indication of anything hapening like a spinner notifying me of work being done, my cpu is also totally idle. I waited about a minute and nothing popped up.

0 Likes

Try turning on the debug setting: sublime.wbond.net/docs/settings#setting-debug

0 Likes

Turned on debug in user settings, hit preferences->browse packages or hit ^shift p etc and… nothing happens. no output of any kind. something is fubar lol

0 Likes

I think i know whats going wrong here.
preferences->browse packages is NOT part of the package manager at all, it’s to open the folder where your packages are installed.

Now If you installed the package manager right you should have “Package control” as the last menu item in the “Preferences” menu.
This should bring up a list and to install packages simply select “Package control: install package” and this will bring up another list with packages to choose from.
(Notice there is no “Package control: browse packages” in that list whatsoever.)

If you don’t have “Package control” in the preferences menu, package control is not properly installed.
Remember that installing package control requires slightly more effort because you need to copy and paste code in the sublime text console.
If you missed a few characters it won’t work.
Here’s the code and instructions to install Package control:
sublime.wbond.net/installation

0 Likes

Yes i have package control installed and have that menu item. But I can not install any packages through it. I can discover packages, i can list packages (only package control) but intall does nothing. No list of packages available for installation.

0 Likes

List packages > lists the local packages
Discover packages > opens a browser
Install packages however connects to a server on the internet from within Sublime.
Looks like your firewall/antivirus is blocking Sublime.
I guess you need to create a rule for Sublime in your firewall/antivirus to allow Sublime full access to the internet.

0 Likes

[quote=“henkbb”]

List packages > lists the local packages
Discover packages > opens a browser
Install packages however connects to a server on the internet from within Sublime.
Looks like your firewall/antivirus is blocking Sublime.
I guess you need to create a rule for Sublime in your firewall/antivirus to allow Sublime full access to the internet.[/quote]

I dont have any anti virus as Im running Linux, I also do not have a firewall other than my router which shouldnt be blocking anything outbound.

0 Likes

You need to post a debug log in order for anyone to help you with this kind of an issue. Ideally post it at github.com/wbond/sublime_package_control/issues, so participants can get email notifications.

If you don’t see debug messages in your console, then try restarting Sublime Text. If you still don’t see debug messages, then you likely placed the debug setting in the wrong settings file. The paragraph at the beginning of sublime.wbond.net/docs/settings includes details about what settings file to use.

0 Likes

Hi WB, I have resolved this issue, i launched ST3 a few moments ago and got a popup message I have not seen before. It informed me that my LANG environement variable needed to be changed to UTF8 or else package control would not work. Made this change and package control now works

I would like to request a feature now that I have taken a look…

Can we please have a check mark which will allow me to select a package and keep browsing and then hit “install” to install all the selected packages. As it stands I have to hit “control shift p” followed by “pi enter”, scroll down to something I like, hit enter to install it. from here i have to redo ^shift p enter and scroll back down to where i was a moment ago to continue browsing. With the length of the list of abvailable packages this is toing to get old fast :smile:

0 Likes

Unfortunately the current quick panel does not allow for check marks. Moving the list of 2500 packages to a view that people have to manually search through would generally be worse UI, in my opinion.

My intent long term is to make a browser plugin to you can install from your web browser while browsing sublime.wbond.net. That will probably take a little bit of time due to the backlog of work I have.

0 Likes