Sublime Forum

Docs for defined classes, autocomplete: Sublime vs PHP Storm

Hi, I’m evaluating Sublime and I love much of what I’m seeing. One area that I keep getting into trouble with my code is when using and extending installed classes. For example, writing a custom Composer installer or working on Laravel plugins, one needs to extend and use a lot of deeply nested classes in various namespaces.

The problem that I’m often having is knowing which methods are available in the class I’m extending or knowing what classes need to be referenced as inputs to a given method. The low-tech solution here is to find the parent class and look at how it is declared. That’s really the best way in my opinion, but it is slow. I’m not a big fan of IDE’s like PHP Storm because they are so heavy. However, a lot of the really experienced developers use IDEs and those developers seem to hit fewer snags when it comes to sparse documentation because an IDE tends to make it easier to browse and extend the source code (stuff like autocomplete or viewing the code’s in-line doc blocks).

I would love to hear the thoughts of the community on this. Are there plugins available that can help Sublime with autocomplete and viewing inline documentation in composer-installed packages?

0 Likes