Sublime Forum

Give me a reson why is worth to buy sublime text?

Atom is bloatware. Based on a web browser, seriously?

GVim has quite a different taste than Sublime Text; but I’ve been trying to simulate most of Sublime Text’s features in Emacs during the past few months. (Learning Lisp the hard way.) While I surely can’t simulate the same look and feel, I’d consider GNU Emacs to be a decent alternative to Sublime Text. (Plus, it’s highly unlikely to “die” before Sublime Text does.)

0 Likes

[quote=“theuros”]Hello,
I’ve done a project in CodeIgniter using Sublime text 2 and in that time I didn’t see “sublime potential” or some very good reason to spend 70$ on text editor. Don’t get me wrong, price isn’t too high… I just can do any job with Notepad++ or Netbeans which are both free. I checked out few tutotrials for sublime and use it once in a while for the past year, but I see it like “just another editor”.
Thanx[/quote]

I’m a customer as 70 bucks isn’t that much.

However, I have a love/hate relationship with Sublime. It’s nice when it works, but there’s also some weird bugs and since I don’t have the code I can’t fix it and thus have to wait until jps does it (and he doesn’t seem to read the issue tracker, alas.)

Not everything can be fixed with python plugins.

Unless ST is open sourced, I might actually switch back to jedit. Just as fast, just as extensible and open source. It’s not as pretty, but I no longer care.

1 Like

Take a look at the plugin called Origami. It will allow you to set percentages to resize panels to as you change focus. So you can automatically make the current focus bigger than the other panels.

0 Likes

[quote=“stikker”]
Unless ST is open sourced, I might actually switch back to jedit. Just as fast, just as extensible and open source. It’s not as pretty, but I no longer care.[/quote]

I googled jedit out of curiosity. This is the first screenshot on their website:
jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=36

0 Likes

[quote=“quodlibet”]

[quote=“stikker”]
Unless ST is open sourced, I might actually switch back to jedit. Just as fast, just as extensible and open source. It’s not as pretty, but I no longer care.[/quote]

I googled jedit out of curiosity. This is the first screenshot on their website:
jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=36[/quote]

And here’s the second:
jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=35

What’s your point?

I agree it’s not as pretty as ST, but it’s more extensible and even faster for large files. And the fact that I have the source makes me think about going back.

NOTE: I’d like to add that I’d still pay 70 bucks for ST if it was open source/commercial dual licensed, and most fans would I imagine.

0 Likes

Don’t mind me, I was just being flippant.

Though for my uses – web design and creative writing – I prefer a subtler UI.

I’m not thinking of abandoning Sublime – too fond of it, despite its warts – but if I was, I’d make another attempt at Vim.

Cheers,
Alex

Edit: typo

0 Likes

On the subject of jEdit, I was a long time user of jEdit (over a decade in fact), and at one time hosted the official FTP site (before Slava moved the repository and releases to Sourceforge). In fact I still install it on my computers, especially windows machines. But, I haven’t fired it up to edit text in years. Part of that was the performance in a virtual machine or via remote desktop. There was a noticeable lag in typing when I was working in those types of environments, so I went in search of editors that were more “native”.

0 Likes

I have no problems with performance in virtual machines. jedit is also considerably faster than sublime on large files.

0 Likes

jEdit is ugly once you try to change the theme.

0 Likes

Last few days I used ST3 more often and I can see some of great features, but still … is not worth the price.

in my opinion, if the price was 40 $, I and a lot more other people would buy it without hesitation…

0 Likes

[quote=“theuros”]Last few days I used ST3 more often and I can see some of great features, but still … is not worth the price.

in my opinion, if the price was 40 $, I and a lot more other people would buy it without hesitation…[/quote]

I’m sorry, the price probably is not going to change.

0 Likes

[quote=“theuros”]Last few days I used ST3 more often and I can see some of great features, but still … is not worth the price.

in my opinion, if the price was 40 $, I and a lot more other people would buy it without hesitation…[/quote]

There are developer tools that are in the multi-hundred or thousand range. $70 is a very low price for something you will use every day.

0 Likes

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but my opinion is that you are mistaken.

The difference between $40 and $70 is not really meaningful for someone who has $40 to spend on a text editor.

As you point out, there are a bunch of editors out there that are competent for free. To put my hand in my pocket for any money is a big decision. Once I have my wallet out I am not going to be swayed much by the difference between $40 and $70.

For me, in my spoilt 1st world existence, the difference is not meaningful. When I bought ST2 it was less than $50 ($48 maybe?) and people were then suggesting $20 as a better price. If $30 matters to people (and it does to a lot of people) then $40 or $20 is still a huge hurdle and not meaningfully different to $48 or $70.

To put things in perspective, I have spent something like $170 worth of billable time reading and commenting on just this forum in the last 24 hours. Worth every cent, in my opinion, but not free and way more cost than the suggested change in the price of ST or even the full price of ST. That calculation is not the same for everyone.

0 Likes

Sublime text is a great editor, but if I were you, I’d only pay if development would pick up again. Otherwise you’d be throwing money at a dead product.

0 Likes

How many updates in which time period are required for you to not call a software “dead”?

0 Likes

This is bizarre. Not only has there been a bunch of updates recently (not all of them welcome to my taste) but it is a text editor.

What innovation do you want in a text editor? It helps you work with text. What is the new killer feature you are expecting to be delivered?

If jps never released another change and ST kept working on upcoming OS releases what would make it dead? TextMate stalled for years and yet remained and remains a very fine editor.

Last point, is $70 really an amount of money that requires you to see it as an investment where you have to consider the amortised value over a period of years? If it is then have a long hard think of learning vim or emacs instead because they are truly great and absolutley free tools. If $70 is not really that big a deal for you when you take a deep breath, count to 10, and think about it, then get over yourself, relax a bit more and let yourself enjoy things that make you smile and give back to those who help you smile. Life’s too short to stress over the little things.

0 Likes

I don’t expect any killer features. But there are small issues, and bugs here and there that frustrate me knowing that they’ll never be fixed. Have a look at the issue tracker and you’ll understand.

0 Likes

70 bucks is a drop in the bucket for someone working in the professional field of development. Considering what Sublime Text brings to the table as a simple text editor but a very powerful one is one of its best selling points and price justification. The beauty of this topic is you are not forced to buy or even use Sublime Text, there are many other alternatives that might suite your needs better(price, ui, features etc…).

Even for someone who does a ton of freelance, 70 bucks is again a drop in the bucket. How would you feel if your freelance clients came back to you and started to whine like a 2 year old they don’t want to pay your hourly or project fee, they want it for 1/2 or even a 1/4 of the price. No one is twisting your arm, use what works best for YOUR workflow and budget, if you’re a cheapskate and want everything for free perhaps you should allow clients to get your time for free.

…SMH… :unamused:

0 Likes

$70 is too much for abandonware

0 Likes

I think the answer to this question is pretty simple: Are you using Sublime Text?

If you are, it’s obviously “worth” it for you and you should pay for it.

If you’re not, it’s clearly not worth it and you should move on to something that fits your needs better.

0 Likes