Sublime Forum

How to remove sidebar icons - build 3065

@danbak I added here and it works: …/Sublime Text 3/Packages/Theme - Default/Default.sublime-theme

(although maybe there is a better place to do it?)

and +1 for removing these icons :3

0 Likes

@Karlo, hmm I don’t have that folder “Packages/Theme - Default/Default.sublime-theme”. :frowning:
I’m using the portable version on Windows.

0 Likes

I think that build 3065 has been withdrawn. I do not see it on page http://www.sublimetext.com/3dev.

0 Likes

3065 is a beta release instead of dev release, it’s on http://www.sublimetext.com/3

0 Likes

I did it without actually modifying the theme I’m using, by adding a .sublime-theme file to my Packages/User directory where the filename is the same name as the theme that you are currently using. Any rules that you put in that file will override/extend the theme’s settings. I followed this guide:

github.com/buymeasoda/soda-them … tomisation

0 Likes

Add another vote to provide a simple option to disable the icons. The icons are very distracting and are a waste of space, while the arrows are simple and clean.

0 Likes

I’m using the default package and have tried putting @billdami’s changes into several locations, but to no effect:

• Packages/User/Default.sublime-theme

• Packages/User/Theme Default.sublime-theme

• Packages/User/Monokai Bright 3.sublime-theme

• Packages/User/Monokai Bright.sublime-theme

(Monokai Bright is my color scheme.)

Can you offer any correction?

I’m running Sublime Text 3 on Debian 7, Having just installed build 3065 from the “.deb” file. My “Packages” directory (opt/sublime-text/Packages) had no subdirectories when I started, and all of the contents were binary “*.sublime-package” files.

0 Likes

I’m surprised there are so many people against this feature. I really like the icons.

0 Likes

[quote=“vaselinessa”]I’m using the default package and have tried putting @billdami’s changes into several locations, but to no effect:

• Packages/User/Default.sublime-theme

• Packages/User/Theme Default.sublime-theme

• Packages/User/Monokai Bright 3.sublime-theme

• Packages/User/Monokai Bright.sublime-theme

(Monokai Bright is my color scheme.)

Can you offer any correction?

I’m running Sublime Text 3 on Debian 7, Having just installed build 3065 from the “.deb” file. My “Packages” directory (opt/sublime-text/Packages) had no subdirectories when I started, and all of the contents were binary “*.sublime-package” files.[/quote]

@vaselinessa If it’s not working with the .sublime-theme file directly in your Packages/User folder, I would try creating a new folder in Packages/User called “Theme - Default” (assuming you are using the Default theme), and then put your new Default.sublime-theme file in there. So the final path would be:

Packages/User/Theme - Default/Default.sublime-theme

(Monokai Bright is your syntax color scheme, which is different from the overall app theme, so your theme should most likely be “Default”. You can check your preferences to verify this, and see if you have a value for “theme”).

0 Likes

[quote=“billdami”]I would try creating a new folder in Packages/User called “Theme - Default” (assuming you are using the Default theme), and then put your new Default.sublime-theme file in there. So the final path would be:

Packages/User/Theme - Default/Default.sublime-theme
[/quote]

Thanks, @billdami. I followed this instruction, but to no effect. I verified my work as follows on the shell:

[code]$ cd
$ cat Packages/User/Theme\ -\ Default/Default.sublime-theme

{
“class”: “icon_file_type”,
“content_margin”: [0,0]
},
{
“class”: “icon_folder”,
},
{
“class”: “icon_folder_loading”,
}
]
$ ./sublime-text # start Sublime Text build 3065
[/code]

The file appears to be in order, but when I restart Sublime, I still see the icons. I also tried putting the file at ‘Packages/User/Theme - Default/Theme - Default.sublime-theme’.

0 Likes

1. I don’t like the new icons - There should be a config option to disable these new icons
  2. We already have themes that have icons - There should be a config option to disable these new icons
  3. The folder icons are reduntant, because of the arrows - There should be a config option to disable these new icons

Made an account on this forum just to say that.
Will use previous build until this is solved.

0 Likes

Using SublimeText 3, the following worked

Using Package Control, removed “Theme : Soda”
Remove from the Settings - User “theme”: “Soda Dark.sublime-theme”
Restart SublimeText

Re-installed the Theme : Soda
Add to the Settings - User “theme”: “Soda Dark 3.sublime-theme”
Restart SublimeText

0 Likes

No, not a fan of these icons. Not attractive at all. I would like to see a Settings option to disable them.

0 Likes

You guys are talking about sidebar icons on 3065, but the download page http://www.sublimetext.com/3dev only has 3064 as the latest.
What gives?

0 Likes

[quote=“RickyS”]You guys are talking about sidebar icons on 3065, but the download page http://www.sublimetext.com/3dev only has 3064 as the latest.
What gives?[/quote]

Official beta build:

sublimetext.com/3 = 3065.

0 Likes

[quote=“billdami”]To completely remove both the new folder and file type icons, you can simply customize your theme, adding the following theme rules:
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing @billdami.
Saved me hours of playing to get rid of the sidebar icons that I despise.
The fact that ST makes it easy for even dolt like me to “fix” things like this is part of why I stick with ST but it would have taken me hours to sort out and instead your solution has it fixed in minutes.
Excellent work and thanks again for sharing.

0 Likes

If it’s possible for a Python module to alter the file icons based on Git status, then this is the best update to Sublime Text in a long time!

0 Likes

On Mac OS, using Theme - Soda.sublime-package, i could remove the icons this way:

• unzip ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Installed Packages/Theme - Soda.sublime-package
    into
    ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Installed Packages

• open the extracted folder and find the .sublime-theme
    file you use

• Set the icons margins to [0,0] as billdami said (see code below)

• Use the Package Control built-in Create Binary Package File
    command to recreate the .sublime-package file and replace it to the old one (the folder has to be in “Installed Package” directory)

Thumbs down for the icons!

{ "class": "icon_file_type", "content_margin": [0,0] }, { "class": "icon_folder", "content_margin": [0,0] }, { "class": "icon_folder_loading", "content_margin": [0,0] }

0 Likes

Hmm. I use the Eiffel theme but I can’t find any file like this, in JSON format, for Eiffel. I have a “Eiffel (SL).tmTheme” file, it’s XML and there’s no mention of icon’s in it.

0 Likes

Eiffel is just the syntax highlight color scheme, you need to edit the theme (.sublime-theme) instead,
depending on which theme are you using, you need to find the package you are using and follow gpbl’s steps in the post above.

hope it helps
:smile:

0 Likes