Sublime Forum

How to remove sidebar icons - build 3065

[quote=“billdami”]I would try creating a new folder in Packages/User called “Theme - Default” (assuming you are using the Default theme), and then put your new Default.sublime-theme file in there. So the final path would be:

Packages/User/Theme - Default/Default.sublime-theme
[/quote]

Thanks, @billdami. I followed this instruction, but to no effect. I verified my work as follows on the shell:

[code]$ cd
$ cat Packages/User/Theme\ -\ Default/Default.sublime-theme

{
“class”: “icon_file_type”,
“content_margin”: [0,0]
},
{
“class”: “icon_folder”,
},
{
“class”: “icon_folder_loading”,
}
]
$ ./sublime-text # start Sublime Text build 3065
[/code]

The file appears to be in order, but when I restart Sublime, I still see the icons. I also tried putting the file at ‘Packages/User/Theme - Default/Theme - Default.sublime-theme’.

0 Likes

1. I don’t like the new icons - There should be a config option to disable these new icons
  2. We already have themes that have icons - There should be a config option to disable these new icons
  3. The folder icons are reduntant, because of the arrows - There should be a config option to disable these new icons

Made an account on this forum just to say that.
Will use previous build until this is solved.

0 Likes

Using SublimeText 3, the following worked

Using Package Control, removed “Theme : Soda”
Remove from the Settings - User “theme”: “Soda Dark.sublime-theme”
Restart SublimeText

Re-installed the Theme : Soda
Add to the Settings - User “theme”: “Soda Dark 3.sublime-theme”
Restart SublimeText

0 Likes

No, not a fan of these icons. Not attractive at all. I would like to see a Settings option to disable them.

0 Likes

You guys are talking about sidebar icons on 3065, but the download page http://www.sublimetext.com/3dev only has 3064 as the latest.
What gives?

0 Likes

[quote=“RickyS”]You guys are talking about sidebar icons on 3065, but the download page http://www.sublimetext.com/3dev only has 3064 as the latest.
What gives?[/quote]

Official beta build:

sublimetext.com/3 = 3065.

0 Likes

[quote=“billdami”]To completely remove both the new folder and file type icons, you can simply customize your theme, adding the following theme rules:
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing @billdami.
Saved me hours of playing to get rid of the sidebar icons that I despise.
The fact that ST makes it easy for even dolt like me to “fix” things like this is part of why I stick with ST but it would have taken me hours to sort out and instead your solution has it fixed in minutes.
Excellent work and thanks again for sharing.

0 Likes

If it’s possible for a Python module to alter the file icons based on Git status, then this is the best update to Sublime Text in a long time!

0 Likes

On Mac OS, using Theme - Soda.sublime-package, i could remove the icons this way:

• unzip ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Installed Packages/Theme - Soda.sublime-package
    into
    ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Installed Packages

• open the extracted folder and find the .sublime-theme
    file you use

• Set the icons margins to [0,0] as billdami said (see code below)

• Use the Package Control built-in Create Binary Package File
    command to recreate the .sublime-package file and replace it to the old one (the folder has to be in “Installed Package” directory)

Thumbs down for the icons!

{ "class": "icon_file_type", "content_margin": [0,0] }, { "class": "icon_folder", "content_margin": [0,0] }, { "class": "icon_folder_loading", "content_margin": [0,0] }

0 Likes

Hmm. I use the Eiffel theme but I can’t find any file like this, in JSON format, for Eiffel. I have a “Eiffel (SL).tmTheme” file, it’s XML and there’s no mention of icon’s in it.

0 Likes

Eiffel is just the syntax highlight color scheme, you need to edit the theme (.sublime-theme) instead,
depending on which theme are you using, you need to find the package you are using and follow gpbl’s steps in the post above.

hope it helps
:smile:

0 Likes

Very good! Unzipped the *sublime-package, found the *theme files, made the changes, renamed the original *sublime-package file to *orig, and now I have an Installed Packages/Theme - Soda dir with the edited files. Quit and restarted, the icons are still there. Do I have to zip up the Theme - Soda dir to make a *sublime-package file? Or could the old content be cached?

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Made the *sublime-package file, so now I have an Installed Packages/Theme - Soda.sublime-package file with the changes in it, but still have icons. Odd. Thank you for your reply, at any rate.

0 Likes

I wish he’d use standard OS folder icons and hire iconfactory.com/ to do the file type icons. Though those hideous Windows icons might be a reason he has taken so long to even humor this feature, then again Yosemite folder icons, no comments. I get it, some people prefer no folders or file type icons, so that should be an option in your user pref file (A very valid option, I bet it’s 50/50, though if I was Jon I wouldn’t count forum complainers as that’s a fraction of ST2/3 user base).

Just do this:

folder_icons: true/false (reverts to just arrows)
file_type_icons: true/false (reverts back to just text)

Everyone wins!

0 Likes

[quote=“gpbl”]On Mac OS, using Theme - Soda.sublime-package, i could remove the icons this way:

• unzip ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Installed Packages/Theme - Soda.sublime-package

into
~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Installed Packages

• open the extracted folder and find the .sublime-theme
    file you use

• Set the icons margins to [0,0] as billdami said (see code below)

• Use the Package Control built-in Create Binary Package File
    command to recreate the .sublime-package file and replace it to the old one (the folder has to be in “Installed Package” directory)

Thumbs down for the icons!

{ "class": "icon_file_type", "content_margin": [0,0] }, { "class": "icon_folder", "content_margin": [0,0] }, { "class": "icon_folder_loading", "content_margin": [0,0] }[/quote]

Thanks this works great!

0 Likes

Resurrecting this old thread to ask - is it save to upgrade yet? Is there an option to use the original look?

0 Likes

nope. there is no built in option to disable icons.

0 Likes

I’d just like to add my voice to this plea; as a long-time ST2 user, I’ve just upgraded, and the sidebar icons have been the only real downside so far.

(Their Mac OS 9 look is somewhat nostalgic… but the loss of screen real estate bugs me more than the aesthetic pain!)

0 Likes

Hey, is there any update on this?

0 Likes

Hey, i had the same issue.

Here is the original post:

Make sure to read the comments

0 Likes