Sublime Forum

What color scheme and theme do you guys use?

I’m curious to see what people have been using since the latest update.

0 Likes

I’m using Afterglow theme and it works fine with the latest build of sublime.
There are however regardless of the theme slowness when loading many files with the latest build which I hope will be fixed for the formal release of 3.

0 Likes

I use Monokai, but I have been searching for a theme with a bit higher contrast, so I could turn down the brightness of my laptop screen while on battery mode.

0 Likes

self ported obsidian and modified flatland

0 Likes

I use my own color scheme: (github.com/saadq/smooth) along with the Afterglow theme.

0 Likes

Minimal Theme - sublime.wbond.net/packages/Theme%20-%20Minimal
Peacocks in space - daylerees.github.io/ (can’t direct link to it, but, it’s in there)

0 Likes

I’ve been using Espresso Libre recently, though for some things (Ruby, PHP) I use the RailsCasts theme.

Needed something with better highlighting on typehints in things like golang, c etc. It looks awful on PHP source files, I think the php open tag makes it highlight the entire file in a weird way.

0 Likes

I use the default Monokai, but I’ve edited it to make the sidebar dark (matching the rest of the UI), changes which I’ve provided here:

gist.github.com/mlepage/8c9ad03655b6c69ec556

0 Likes

Check out Neon or Made of Code.

0 Likes

Rainbow.

0 Likes

As an aside… I stopped using syntax coloring years ago, as I realized it has zero benefits and a lot of problems.

After reading linusakesson.net/programming … ghlighting you might be tempted to turn off syntax coloring as well :smile: It’s not exactly an extremely well written piece on the subject (there are no well written pieces on the subject, to my knowledge), but it does point out some of the conclusions I’ve reached over the years.

I know, it is completely counter intuitive, but I highly recommend everyone at least trying it and think about how it affects your ability to read and understand code (hint: it’s significantly improved)

I’ve made a “color scheme” for sublime using the monokai background and slightly off-white text (nothing, absolutely nothing, is highlighted). I can read code like never before.

I am all for editors and IDE’s putting syntax and semantic error indicators in the code, though, and I’m teaching sublime about clang analysis output now. Seems to work fine.

0 Likes

[quote=“stikker”]

As an aside… I stopped using syntax coloring years ago, as I realized it has zero benefits and a lot of problems.

After reading linusakesson.net/programming … ghlighting you might be tempted to turn off syntax coloring as well :smile: It’s not exactly an extremely well written piece on the subject (there are no well written pieces on the subject, to my knowledge), but it does point out some of the conclusions I’ve reached over the years.

I know, it is completely counter intuitive, but I highly recommend everyone at least trying it and think about how it affects your ability to read and understand code (hint: it’s significantly improved)

I’ve made a “color scheme” for sublime using the monokai background and slightly off-white text (nothing, absolutely nothing, is highlighted). I can read code like never before.

I am all for editors and IDE’s putting syntax and semantic error indicators in the code, though, and I’m teaching sublime about clang analysis output now. Seems to work fine.[/quote]

I’ve read that post but I don’t really agree with it. To each their own though. I find syntax highlighting extremely helpful.

0 Likes

[quote=“willy1234x1”]

I find syntax highlighting extremely helpful.[/quote]

Which merely means you didn’t actually really try. Old-habbits prison.

0 Likes

I used to write all of my code in Notepad. I did it for years and I’d never go back to it.

0 Likes

What does that have to do with anything? Sublime is great, and even greater without the coloring clown fest.

The fact that you endured Notepad “for years” makes me think your opinion isn’t worth all that much. Thinking is fundamental.

0 Likes

Stikker quit being an asshole for no reason. This is an entirely subjective choice and there is no hard evidence saying that not having syntax highlighting actually helps you.

Also, this comment over on YCombinator brings up a great point for why syntax highlighting can be beneficial.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3718304

0 Likes

Usually a Solarized theme (but not the ones supplied with ST3, since they’re wrong). From SublimeColors or my own minimal version.

0 Likes

[quote=“stikker”]

What does that have to do with anything? Sublime is great, and even greater without the coloring clown fest.

The fact that you endured Notepad “for years” makes me think your opinion isn’t worth all that much. Thinking is fundamental.[/quote]

Don’t be arsey. I was replying to your comment about not using syntax highlighting.

This was many years ago, when I was first learning to code at 7. I’m now 23. I’ve been using Sublime since 2009, I picked up the net awards for Sublime back in May, so thanks, I know how good Sublime is.

Syntax highlighting has many benefits (at least for me, and I’m sure others).

0 Likes

I used to be young and stupid too and thought syntax highlighting was the best thing ever.

List the benefits you think are there, and I’ll resolutely shoot down each point.

0 Likes

As I said before “at least to me”.

This is why I prefer syntax highlighting - compared to my experiences in not using it.

• Contextual awareness. Am I currently in a variable? Have I forgotten a brace?

• Easy identification of token types, variables, functions, control statements.

• Less to store in memory = less headaches.

0 Likes