Sublime Forum

How to Tell if Building

Hi there. Kinda new to SB as an IDE and programming in general.
I’m running some code under the JSC build system and (to the best of my observations) there’s no way to tell if it’s building or not. I ran something before that took 52sec to build, and the bar on the bottom of the window that says what row and column your cursor is on said “Building” for a couple seconds but then the “Building” word disappeared. However, it still ended up building, about 52s later. It was only a very miniature demo of my actual program so I have no idea how long the real one should take and if it’s even still building. Is there any way to display a progress bar or at least see a “building…” indication?

Also, if I’m building something in one file and, while it’s running, I build something in another file, does it stop the build in the first file?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Do you not see a build results pane pop up at the bottom of Sublime? This should show you output messages from your build script and give you an idea of progress. Personally, I’m fine with that, since after a few runs of the build you have a ballpark of the time it takes and don’t need to monitor much beyond that.

So far as time / progress goes, it’s not practical to implement that in a tool like Sublime since it launches an external build tool or script. There’s no way for Sublime to know about progress except that the script’s execution has finished.

IDE’s which are closely tied to their programming environment are of course advantaged in this respect; they “know” the build process for their language and tools and can therefore more accurately measure build progress.

0 Likes

I do have a build results panel, but it stays blank for the duration of the time the script takes to build. This is my first time running the script in full (a scaled-down version, as I mentioned, took 52seconds) so I have no idea how long it will take. It’s been running for almost 20 hours now, with the build panel still blank. I don’t need to see a progress bar or anything; just wanted to know if there was any way to tell whether the script is building or not.

0 Likes

I don’t know much about JSC and don’t use it personally but after a little googling it appears to be a javascript execution environment along the lines of node.js.

Take a look at this article which might be of use… From what I can tell JSC doesn’t build anything but simply executes your JS code with the output of your code appearing at the console.

So if you use the build script from the above link, your JS code execution’s output should appear in the build results window which simply captures and outputs what’s ordinarily sent to the console.

Good luck!

0 Likes