Sublime Forum

ST3 vs. Atom

What do you think?

0 Likes

0 Likes

lol

0 Likes

Atom - no way!
I need the ability to configure the editor by myself. Writing plugins too.
I’ve learned several programming languages until now. But I’ve always Java or Javascript me to learn refused. I hate this. :wink:
Thats why my favorite is ST3. ( I like Python! )

0 Likes

@BugFix, thanks for your reply :smile:
I love ST (I use it since 2-3 years) but now I started work with Sass and it’s a little hard for me. I thought that I try something new. Atom is slowly on Ubuntu, now I just installed Brackets.
Maybe you can recommend (plugin, program?) with good support for Sass?

0 Likes

I’m not working with Sass. But have you tried the “Sass” Package from Package Control?

0 Likes

1. Atom can’t open files above 2MB which is useless to me - I open a lot of 5-100MB CSV files without a hitch in Sublime.
  2. Shortcuts are awkward.
  3. It’s not fast enough. If I want to edit a file, I want to do it straightaway, not a while later.
0 Likes

I have atom installed, sublime is my main go to at this point.

I really like Sublime. Nothing else I have tried comes close to it. I hope the project will continue. My guess is for the effort involved, the developer doesn’t make much money.

Sublime Text

• Fast
  • Light
  • Communication (I’d be happy if there was a once a month update to the blog about sublime text, even it it’s a short entry)

Atom

• Communication
  • Active community
  • 2MB File Limit Atom (This is by design, due to large files being crazy slow if they use font rendering, at least thats what i remember from the bug report.)
  • Slow to open files
  • Searches are slow
  • Large foot print
  • Issues with using 13% and more cpu when it’s doing nothing
  • Update of packages
  • Auto update add-on
  • Easy to find new packages

Brackets

• NO.
  • Where is my Right-Click cut / copy / paste menu ?
  • Fast
  • Doesn’t feel like a proper text editor, more of a web editor
0 Likes

Atom

• text encoding errors
  • broken soft word wrap
  • 2 mb limitation
  • bad performance

Yes, it’s free and opensource, but communication still is bad.

Sublime

• All ok :wink:
0 Likes

[quote=“jkw”]What’s the point with comparing Atom to SublimeText 3 when Atom can only handle web-specific offline coding and SublimeText 3 has support for all (almost) languages?
I saw someone mention Brackets too, same issue there except the Brackets software has a awesome package-manager, but still no were near SublimeText 3.[/quote]

I’m thrilled at the recent activity in Sublime’s development, and JPS’s return. I love Sublime, and hope its mojo is restored.

But during the time when Sublime paused with no explanation – during which package development and maintenance also slowed, Atom tempted me. And I have to say, I love it, too. That’s sort of what happens when you exit the field. Atom isn’t the fastest thing, and it may have file size limits. Neither has ever really got in my way. Even on my 5 year old 8GB MBP, it is plenty fast (I leave it open to avoid its start time). It has a nice package and theme manager, and supports all kinds of languages, including the ones I use (C, C++, Pascal plus web-centric syntaxes and languages). Several package provide remote edit abilities.

Any of us older than 16 know editors are another kind of religion. This brief rejoinder is my dim effort to balance the negative words some have said about Atom.

0 Likes

I’m not sure I follow what you mean by “Atom can only handle web-specific offline coding.” Atom and Sublime Text both use TextMate’s language grammar system and build scoping rules in virtually identical ways. There’s a lot of reasons one might prefer Sublime to Atom, but lack of language support really doesn’t strike me as one of them – there are hundreds of language packages available for Atom and I suspect that, just like Sublime and TextMate, you’d have to go real obscure to find something you can’t at least get syntax highlighting and autocompletion for. It’d be a much better argument against Brackets, Coda or Espresso.

0 Likes

I started using both ST3 and Atom at the same time, early last year. I primarily saw myself using ST3 until Atom got to a more stable state. I still use both of them, I like the multi-folder support within projects in ST3 but I like the builtin git details and development trajectory of Atom. ST3 has more packages and the popular ones are much more mature, Atom has a better package management system (builtin) that is usable within the tool. All in all, I see them as more similar than different.

0 Likes

You might check the excellent SublimeGit (sublimegit.net or in Package Control).

0 Likes

I’ve tried Atom, but ST3’s text rendering alone keeps me coming back.

0 Likes

One of Atom’s nicest features relative to Sublime is its support for live preview of HTML, Markdown, Asciidoc, etc. It’s probably the advantage and disadvantage of basing your display/editing engine on a web browser’s rendering engine. Yeah, it adds a lot of overhead that a lighter-weight engine wouldn’t have, but the ability to have live previews within your editor is nice. I suppose ST could have this as well if someone where to hack in a “preview pane” of some sort. Komodo Edit is an example of this sort of set up where they have a separate editing engine (Scintilla) but also have a live web preview pane (Gecko based in Komodo’s case) available.

I’m not sure if Atom is a true replacement for ST, depending on what you use it for. However, at the very least, it’s an excellent complementary editor to ST or whatever other editor you may choose to use.

0 Likes

Used Atom for 2 months. Returned to Sublime :slightly_smiling:

Mostly because of sluggishness, and absence of such features, as:

• Preview files when scrolling through dropdown menu
  • Go to last/n-th change
  • Navigate between Git changes
  • Navigate between recent cursor positions
  • Enable/disable/configure linters per project/editor instance

However, Atom has major advantage over Sublime - it allows much greater level of customization, so user can add any kind of panels, toolbars, tooltips and effects - in a long term it can made Atom much more competitive in comparison with Sublime, which is not that customizable.

0 Likes

I’m a ST3 user, but this is akin to asking “pepsi or coke?” on a coke lovers forum, your replies with be from people whom are dedicated enough to ST3 to browse a user group for it. Lots of bias answers, not tarring everyone with that brush but it just seems like the worse place to try and have a fair discussion about this!.

0 Likes

I use Atom due to better FTP support.
My registered ST3 is more for some local tasks, or as someone stated when Atom starts to be messy.
I work a lot with RTL content and very often I need to paste to ST, copy and then paste to Atom to get a proper result.
When and if ST gets full FTP support I am 100% back.

I was using ST3 in combination with Filezilla to work online, but simply got tired, due to workload.
Yes, I know there are workarounds but none of them works for me. (I have plugin too, licenced)

0 Likes

SublimeText for me. The two main reasons are:

• I speak English not the US English that Atom tries to impose on me.
  • SublimeText starts and runs far quicker than any version of Atom that I’ve tried.

I have no problem paying for software as long as it does want I want it to. ST3 for me. :slightly_smiling:

0 Likes