Sublime Forum

Dev Build 3067

I still see requests every so often that require a Side Bar API. Things like Collapse all folders or Center the selected file.

A proper API would also let me remove a hack that tracks the toggle_side_bar command to guess whether the sidebar is open or not.

0 Likes

Welcome back, Jon. I’m excited for the future of ST and this thread made me really happy already.

I’ve compiled a few lists with (too many) issues of varying effort.

Bugfixes that I’d like to see:

1. Invoking window.show_quick_panel with “selected_index” does select the item but does not actually scroll to it (#222
    ) (annoying)

2. “atomic_save” should be disabled by default. Atomic saving in itself is not a bad idea, but it must be handled at an OS level because the hack-ish implementation currently messes with how conventional file operation works and renders many file watchers useless. Most users need a pointer to this setting when they experience such issues since it’s not something they are used to. Furthermore, it also doesn’t work sometimes for very odd reasons. (this should be an easy fix) (#379
    )

3. Transient views are sometimes messing with me when they don’t close correctly, as they are not displayed in the “open files” sidebar and I have tabs hidden. Sometimes I close a file and get

4. There is a very annoying issue regarding syntax def development, which is the file watcher stopping to watch a syntax defition file after a syntax error was detected. (#418
    )
    Also, the error messages could use some improvement in general as they are hard to debug. (#417)

5. Ability to edit the recent projects, or more precisely those that get displayed in the project switcher. I use it regularly, but if I happen to move a folder, rename a project or just delete it completely it’s really hard to get rid of the entry there and it will keep being annoying when you accidentally select it. (#88
    )

6. As mentioned before, completion list navigation could use some improvement as it’s very clunky currently. While it probably makes sense to not eat key inputs when there is only one or two completion to display, a huge list is very painful to browse, especially since it doesn’t even support mouse wheel scrolling. (#20
    )
    Same for quick panels. (#21)

A few features that I have interest in, API-wise and in no particular order:

1. More application events, especially on_application_close (#10
    , #181)

2. More flexibility in the status bar. Create your own static status bar sections since the “set_status” gets messy quickly, custom menus for these sections or maybe click events (overall low priority) (#15
    )

3. Some sort of Sidebar API. Some ideas: Colorize files, change file/folder icon, create your own sidebar section (below or above the project’s files) with a custom tree view or just some text

4. Tooltip API. The ability to define regions (buttons) or links that generate an event when clicked would probably be a nice addition to what was mentioned already. (lower priority personally) (#25
    )

5. Better classification of view types. It’s sometimes rather hard to determine what kind of view you got handed in an event callback since technically everything text-related in ST is a view and probably each of them triggers on_modified and the like. While I don’t think that’s bad per se, since you get to do a lot of things with it, you have to commit to a few workarounds currently (#70
    )

6. The current implementation of show_quick_panel is very naive and breaks easily when the lenghts of sublists differ. It should be possible to have differently sized list entries and possible to display them with the same height, if desired. (#384
    )

7. In general, more options to interact with the user GUI-wise. The sidebar and tooltip API are directed at this, but there are likely more options that I just don’t think of right now. Lower priority than the others.

General things:

1. As you have probably noticed, I try to keep the issue list on github very clean and nicely tagged. I heard from kari that you are looking at it occasionally and if there is anything that we could do with it to make it easier for you to work it, I’d love to hear it.

2. Better or clearer communication as to where feedback should go, and which kind. Forum, the github issue tracker, userecho etc. I’m very satisfied with how our issue tracker is going so far (except for a few duplicates and issues posted to the wrong repo, but that’s better than on the forum where you can’t even close/tag them). The main issue here is that while the forum is nice for discussions of all kinds, it’s not an issue tracker and the lack of notifications surely doesn’t help. The userecho site hasn’t seen any love in years it seems and it also generally very messy by itself, but it supports voting. If only its stylesheet wasn’t broken in FireFox since an enternity.

3. Discourse. Yes, I love it.

4. And the “open source Default packages” thing of course. However, I don’t feel ready yet to make any suggestions right now since this still needs some discussion, imo. If you’re interested in the latest discussion, head over to here: github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/621

Package Control integration would be neat but not a necessity since it’s easily installed with just one line from the console. I would normally also mention the docs, but since you supported our campaign for the unofficial docs update (many thanks for that!), we are the ones at charge here.

There are of course more things, but those have way less priority or are just too much to ask right now.

It was, kind of, but not from a mouse event. I (and I think you too) were hoping for the addition of APIs that could translate x and y positions to text extends in the past, which is certainly a welcome addition.

0 Likes

Welcome back.

Here’s mine by priority:

1. Files created with unexpected permissions issue github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/239

2. Discourse forum

3. Official Github issue tracker. No need for userecho.

4. Official open source of default packages

5. Bug fixes. See Core and Default packages. Bugs off the top of my head that i’d personally like to see squashed:

6. open recent project command: Prompt list of recently opened projects. A preferences option to specify how many recently opened projects ST should remember

7. sidebar api

• close sidebar command
  • is sidebar open command
  • get file under-cursor/selection command
  • colour support e.g. ability to color file tree for git status
  • has focus command
  • center the selected file
  1. status bar api
  • colour support
  • size, order, placement of status messages
  1. Package Control integration

And just to make it a round ten.

1. block cursor

— EDIT —

scratch 10 for: Uses the wrong window decoration in gnome (>=3.10) shell dark themes github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/350

0 Likes

Alleluia, one of the most annoying bug of ST is resolved !!!
Thanks Jon.

0 Likes

Thanks for the amazing software jps.

New features :

• Tree view : this will help in building a lot of useful plugins : (debug plugin, class hierarchy, database viewer …)
  • Multiple gutter icons at the same line.
  • Tooltip (could be used for : showing errors, function signature, suggestions …)
  • Window widget : a floating window with ability to add buttons to it so it can be used as a confirmation box …
  • Extend the api to give more control to developpers.

Outside of sublime text :

• No communication blackout, i think i’m speaking for everyone if i say that for a while we thought that sublime text was dead. (a post on the blog or on twitter isn’t such a bad thing after all)
  • Official bug tracker is a must.
  • Maybe hire someone, he can fix the bugs, while you make sublime more awesome then it is.
  • An alternative to the previous suggestion is export as much as possible functionalities into plugins and let the community fix the bugs.

I want to thank you again for your hard work to make this amazing software available and make our life easier.

0 Likes

Hi,
New to this blog, but as a happy ST user for few years now I’d like to contribute with my opinion at least :smile: For me the top annoyances/bugs in order

]Platform specific settings, Preferences (Platform).sublime-settings, in User folder, it breaks the ability to share the folder among platforms./]
]Ability to edit which projects are displayed in the project switcher (at least ability to delete one by one; it easily gets filled with garbage projects that no longer exist, clearing all for just get rid of few is very annoying)./]
]An actual block cursor for vintage mode, right now uses same color as the selection, very inconvenient in some themes./]
]Fixing the quick panel so it doesn’t close on Windows when ST loses focus; seems easy to solve and and many people complain about it./]

Open sourcing default packages sounds essential, in my case specially annoyed by the default C++ package; it’s very limited while you have a great improvements in the C++11 package but the only way to use it is ignoring the default one. Seems to me a bit hacky for just supporting stuff in the c++ standard, it’d be great if those kind of fixes can be shipped directly with ST.

And for the API, I’d give priority to

]Tooltip support./]
]More flexibility in the status bar./]

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

• A command line switch which launches sublime a-la chrome incognito. We have a partial implementation but launching and using Sublime as a general command line editor is messy. Should launch a separate process, window, have no hot exit, and shouldn’t affect the last saved sublime session or project at all. Option to have incognito profile, theme and settings that differ from normal.
  • Macros which record everything including search, s&r etc. This would allow compound operations to be easily repeated multiple times. Recording and subsequently tweaking macros could be awesome but too many features dont work through macros at present.
  • Code folding which fully respects tmLanguage rules instead of just indent-based
  • Remember folded code in project / session (I know, plugins can do it partially but this really should be native)
  • Better handling of large files and long lines. Sublime gets very sluggish here and I need to constantly fall back to another editor for working large SQL files
  • A status progress and cancel option for any long operation, instead of sublime locking up and me getting worried.
  • Some sidebar love, particularly an API to allow the sidebar to be fully utilised by plugins. Would elevate SFTP and many other plugins.
  • A shift-click style interface for column selection. Dragging long columns is a pain, and currently I have to do it with normal selection, convert to multiple lines, home twice and right right right etc.
  • More sanity for when network loaded files go offline or aren’t available.

Best Wishes Jon,

:smile:

0 Likes

You can do column selection with the arrow keys. Shift-ctrl-downarrow starts a column selection; Shift-rightarrow expands it to the right. I find this much easier than trying to stab at the right location with the cursor.

0 Likes

On a related note, a lot of webdevs seem to be moving over to PHPstorm etc. at the moment. I have no interest in this personally because I need an editing environment which spans many languages and development environments. But from a business perspective opening up Sublime’s API to the point of facilitating the development of plugins which can approach the workflow and toolset of products like PHPstorm, in a smooth and integrated way, would probably win a lot of new customers over time. This is especially so as it seems that a good deal of Sublime’s core userbase are webdevs. It would also rejuvenate interest in Sublime plugin development which seems to have waned a little lately.

0 Likes

[quote=“pete340”]

You can do column selection with the arrow keys. Shift-ctrl-downarrow starts a column selection; Shift-rightarrow expands it to the right. I find this much easier than trying to stab at the right location with the cursor.[/quote]

Yes, I am aware of that - but that’s really a lot of hassle when the column is four or five screens of text, plus sublime doesn’t autoscroll when the column moves off the bottom of the screen.

0 Likes

Please fix the undo/redo jumping bug. That’s currently the most frequent source of annoyance by far.

0 Likes

I have too few posts, but i want to contribute with my vote (in order of preference):

• Tooltip API
  • Sidebar API
  • Package Control integrated
  • Opensource default packages to Github AND use it to track any bug as a unique way to report and discuss sublime bugs
  • Status bar API -> Colour, position of elements, number of elements, etc…
0 Likes

[quote=“pete340”]

You can do column selection with the arrow keys. Shift-ctrl-downarrow starts a column selection; Shift-rightarrow expands it to the right. I find this much easier than trying to stab at the right location with the cursor.[/quote]

Shift+rightclick or middleclick.

0 Likes

Glad you’re back! :smile:

Most things I can think of have been said already, but here’s something I’d love to see: I want to be able to drag an open file from the sidebar out into a new window, the same as is possible with tabs. I keep tabs off, partly because the bar just fills up and partly because I want vertical space, but every time I want a new window I have to turn them on and then back off.

Oh, and I still have the problem where things don’t reload: Super annoying reload bug: I don't know what else to do Makes package development and changing prefs really annoying.

0 Likes

Yay, Sublime Text is back!

What comes to mind:

• if you have the same file open twice or more, Go To Defintion should go to the definition in the current file - at the moment, it will go to the defintion in the file that is first in the tab “stack”

• implement a version of Jump Back / Jump Forward that works only within the context of a single file
    -> both of these are also good candidates for making them accessible as “open” packages, so they can be overwritten / customized

• make it possible to customize the font size in the status bar - or basically for every nav item. This is a big issue for all people with sight problems.

0 Likes

Jon please consider this as well:
Code Folding should be based on syntax, not on indentation level
github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/101
It’s by the way one of the highest voted feature on userecho.
sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/1 … e-folding/

0 Likes

[quote=“aziz”]Jon please consider this as well:
Code Folding should be based on syntax, not on indentation level
github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/101
It’s by the way one of the highest voted feature on userecho.
sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/1 … e-folding/[/quote]

Yes, Yes and Yes!

Imho this is the #1 thing still missing. So: ++1!

And: PLEASE, allow other types of payment besides paypal. Until then I cannot pay for a license, but I want!

0 Likes

Anyone knows how to use the new “hidden” element for the tmLanguage files, introduced in this build?

Thanks,
Joao

0 Likes

Add the following as an element of the primary element of the tmLanguage file.

<dict> <key>hidden</key> <true/> </dict>

I was able to do this for a file I had created and I am no longer able to see it in the select list in the bottom right of the editor. However, I am still able to assign it via the command palette which may be a bug.

I hope this helps! :smiley:

-Nick

0 Likes