Sublime Forum

Speed on remote X display

Hi,
I have just downloaded sublime text 3 for a test run, because feature wise it looks quite nice. However, I notice that when using it remotely via X it is really slow. For me it is unusable like this. Is this problem being adressed, or am I the only person left who remotely works on other machines via X?
Gunnar

0 Likes

Quite likely

0 Likes

Typically, if I’m working on a remote system, I either use the ssh plugin, or remote mount the location using sshfs or nfs.

0 Likes

It comes down to the fact that Sublime has graphical sugar that creates a lot X-red tape and doesn’t play too nice in this mode. If you must work this way, I’ve found Sublime to be usable over remote desktop style connections eg. VNC or MS-TS. It’s not natively slick but is certainly usable, since this mode of connection screen-scrapes remote bitmaps.

If you have heavy work to do on a remote machine, it’s better to run Sublime locally and use SFTP etc… I still have to edit a lot of remote Wordpress and Joomla content on legacy sites with Sublime and use my own custom plugin to do this (shameless plug), which talks to a PHP file dropped on the remote server via an HTTP API; which works well for me on a daily basis.

Personally, I feel that Sublime’s lack of a sidebar API, together with its difficulty gracefully handling remote mountpoints (samba/cifs and nfs for example) are the bigger problems holding Sublime back from being more appropriate for this kind of work. Also the whole business of atomic saving - which admittedly doesn’t affect me at all - seems to trouble a lot of users working on remote filesystems. Will Bond has done a great job with SFTP given the API restrictions of Sublime, but it’d be really nice to be able to browse remote filesystems on the sidebar in much the same way that Filezilla etc. does.

0 Likes