Sublime Forum

Can I Sync windows 8 and OSX via dropbox?

Hello,

Though I found https://packagecontrol.io/docs/syncing, but still don’t know how to make it work.

I have to use windows 8 at office, but use Mac OS at home, and these two computer has its own Dropbox account .

It’s difficult for me the newbie to figure out, thanks for any suggestion!

0 Likes

If they don’t share a dropbox account, you won’t be able to sync them.

You could manually copy the contents of your Packages/Users/ folder via a USB stick if you want to.

0 Likes

When its synced things are made easier.

0 Likes

I would recommend the package https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Package%20Syncing. It’s quite simple to use.

0 Likes

I’m in the same situation.

I would like to ask:

• Did this pack only sync the installed plugins (so that Sublime downloads them), or the settings too?

• If the settings can be synced… how can I make/sync the keyboard-shortcuts? (because of the CMD key)

(I have a Apple Keyboard on Windows and thanks SharpKeys and AutoIt the same mappings on the most keys. But whenever I setup the shortcuts for new plugins I realize that on MAC I’ve to use CMD and on Windows CTRL.)

0 Likes

Syncing ST3 instances via dropbox syncs everything - settings, themes and plugins, as well as plugin settings.
I use OS X at home and Win8.1 at work and I use ST3 with identical configs thanks to db.
The instruction on how to do it published on packacenontrol.io is pretty straight forward - it tells you EXACTLY what to do - step by step.

If you have two different db accouns you could simply share a folder from one account to another.

What is you problem exactly?

0 Likes

@gregzx nailed it, just share a folder from one account to the other.

I did a similar thing when I still had to bring my own USB stick with software. It had its own dropbox account (because I saved the password there and didn’t want anyone to have access to my entire dropbox) but I synced ST files through a shared folder with my main account.

Edit: @Sascha: Key bindings are usually OS-specific (different files for an OS), but you can have a single file that applies to all.

0 Likes

Nice idea, thanks!

1. And how I do this? Can I write down the CMD keybindings next to the windows keybindings or would this produce a error?
  2. Next questions is: What is OS related configurations? ( like local-paths to projects, interpreter/compiler/framework/libary-paths) How can I configure them?

At the moment I don’t have tried this plugin. (because work and time)
First I want to investigate this topic, before I produce some overtime for workplace/flow optimization.

0 Likes

[quote=“Sascha”]

1. And how I do this? Can I write down the CMD keybindings next to the windows keybindings or would this produce a error?

2. Next questions is: What is OS related configurations? ( like local-paths to projects, interpreter/compiler/framework/libary-paths) How can I configure them?[/quote]

3. Default (OSX).sublime-keymap and Default (Windows).sublime-keymap.

4. Paths to projects can be relative, but I suspect that won’t do when syncing the project via dropbox. You can just add each path on each OS to the project, one half will just be empty.

For paths regarding plugins (that execute executabels), they need to provide this functionality by themselves. Either via a custom setting that allows specifying multiple path, by OS-specific settings or by using the system’s PATH environment variable that you then need to adjust.

0 Likes