Sublime Forum

Lousy documentation

Having paid good money for Sublime Text, why do I have to search the Internet to find out how to enable regexes for search and replace? If there were decent documentation I would use Sublime more. There is no use providing features if users cannot find how to use them.

0 Likes

Is this that hard to find?

0 Likes

Put another way: “hey, how do I turn on regex for search?” and iamntz responds within 3 hours.

1 Like

That’s because iamntz also have a life :smile:

Also, finding details on this it’s a trivial task:

google.ro/search?q=sublime+text+regex

will get you to this page:

sublime-text-unofficial-document … rview.html

Finding the regex button now should not be a hard thing to do now, no? :smile:

0 Likes

I’ve always thought that the regex button was self explanatory to be honest.

0 Likes

I’ve always thought you would hover those ominous buttons in the find panel if you didn’t understand what they mean.

0 Likes

So all the replies are basically:

• hunt around in the UI
  • ask on the forum
  • search Google

I suppose that some combination of one or more of these techniques will answer most questions about Sublime. But it doesn’t mean that the documentation is fine.

0 Likes

Frankly, that’s exactly it.

I won’t argue about if the current documentation is lousy or not (it is, that’s why docs.sublimetext.info/ exists). However, some things are just assumed and don’t need no explanation.

Let’s say you want to do a regular expression search.
What would you first step be? Exactly, check the menu. Fortunately, there is a “Find” top level menu in there, so that wasn’t too hard. (Or you press Ctrl+F and skp the next step. ( because spam filter, lol))
Then you look for “Regular search” but you don’t find it. By some quick elimination you find out that only the “Find…” menu item could possibly be relevant for your intentions. FYI, “…” in UI terms means that more user interaction is necessary, e.g. in form of a dialog.
So, now that the find panel is open you see six toggle buttons, an input field and three more buttons. You don’t exactly understand what the toggle buttons are, but have the suspicion they might help you. So you hover them all until you realize that the first button toggles regular expression search.

For which part exactly would you need documentation here? Knowing what a cursor is and that you can click the menu to open submenus? How many pages of documentation are you actually willing to read about “how to use ST”?

This probably sounds sarcastic, but my questions are serious.

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]

That’s because iamntz also have a life :smile:[/quote]

Oh, I was saying it was crazy fast to get a personal response explaining what the person was looking for! Haha.

0 Likes