Sublime Forum

What's happening

[quote=“ntenney”]

I think that misses the point of the concerns people raise about lack of development and communication. It’s about the time invested in workflow/writing plugins for a potentially dead end.

No, it gets exactly to the heart of that point. I use Sublime every single day for hours every day. For me, it has already paid for itself multiple times over. I am getting my moneys worth and then some with Sublime EXACTLY as it is today, without any additional features or a future road map. If Jon never released another version of Sublime, I’d be sad, but it wouldn’t stop me from getting value from Sublime in the future. If Sublime fits into your work flow now, why worry about when the next release will come out? If it doesn’t then you should probably keep looking for something that will.[/quote]

The logic is that it’s better to suffer the pain of switching now than risk the possibility of that pain in the future. Go figure…

0 Likes

So each time this discussion recurs we get good restatements of the two or three points of view you could have about this. In general, I’ve held to the view that current ST3 bits work well for me, so I use them. I do notice the disinterest of the company that continues to take money for the software, but opt not to fret much, since the malaise doesn’t have an operational cost.

Until today.

I’ve been doing more work with Ruby, and I wanted an REPL to exec code from the editor. wuub’s SublimeREPL might do that. Trouble is, it doesn’t quite work in my environment – throws “issues.” It’s not really right to bug the author, who clearly tells us not to expect new work on his extensions until Sublime HQ clarifies ST’s future.

I also use some paid extensions. And notice that they, too, are not advancing. They work now, but the time will come when the environment they assume changes. I fear they won’t have much incentive to adjust.

Extensibility is one of the editor’s great characteristics. But without stable and active core bits, the ecosystem surrounding that core will surely degrade.

0 Likes

I very much hope actually that the bloke is not seriously ill, or in some other similar kind of acute distress, because this is the only event that could perhaps justify such a deafening and longstanding silence. And if, alas, this dreadful scenario were to be true, I would be the first to be regretful for expressing my exasperation on this forum.

It is difficult to imagine such a disappearance to be the result of indifference, mere indecisiveness, or strategy…

0 Likes

In my opinion ST is dead. There is a lot of months from last release. I bought ST3 for 70$ last year march i suppose. I started even write IdeTools plugin for transform text editor to fully functional IDE. I hope Jon is alive and SublimeText story will continue to the happy end,

0 Likes

No need to get testy.

I was talking about new users. Once the software is purchased, if it works for what it was originally purchased for, then whether or not there is future development on the software is beside the point. Look at George R.R. Martin. He still writes on a wordstar word processor. He hasn’t updated to a newer one because he’s used to wordstar, and it fits his workflow. It doesn’t matter that word has far more features than wordstar, or that wordstar doesn’t even exist as a company any more. At the point where he bought wordstar, companies didn’t tell users crap about update schedules, or future development. That didn’t matter in his purchase. Wordstar did what he wanted it to do RIGHT THEN. So, my comment about purchasing if it meets your workflow now applies to new users, or to users that have used Sublime for years. If it’s not meeting your needs, move on to something else, but don’t base your purchase on what some software says it will deliver 6 months from now. If you do, you’ll be screwed when they decide feature X is too much effort and it gets dropped. When I buy software, I buy it on the premise that it meets my needs now, not in some future release.

0 Likes

I just purchased the software today. I didn’t have to, but I did. I bought it because it work well and I like the key combos and plugins (among other things).

Ultimately, it does sadden me to come into the forums and find out the developer has been MIA for a while. But I tend to not care as the software is already pretty solid for my needs (which are coding efficiently…).

What the developer(s) have created is pretty nice as it is. Hopefully they return and the community doesn’t die off.

0 Likes

I was thinking to switch to atom…but it is way slow to be my daily editor. I really hope that Sublime will continue developing in my heart. There is no good replacement for Sublime (so far).

1 Like

That’s exactly how i feel, 1+ for that.

Looks like “koink” is someone involved with another editor (ATOM) who can’t stand Sublime is still the number one choice despite it’s low development pace.
I tried Atom and a lot others and they don’t even come close.
The last one i tried was Brackets and allthough it looks nice, it’s really really buggy.
They keep coming up with updates ( so in that respect it’s not dead) but it’s still buggy as hell.
Sublime, on the contrary, is a friend i can rely on and it does everything i need and fast.
There’s nothing, i can think of, i would like it to do which it can’t do right now especially with the large plugin base it has.

As said before: for me no editor comes close to Sublime and that should be the ONLY reason to switch to another editor… that it’s simply better.
That being said the whining about the “lack of output in terms of features and info” is nothing more than a troll’s game, which will only have the opposite effect.

0 Likes

This argument is wrong. Any language is better than another in some ways.
Python (and Ruby as well) have the advantage of being super easy for users that are totally new to that language (e.g. i was able to write some quick plugins whenever i needed one without fidling too much with the language per se, but with the API and i all my python experience was „yeah, i know there is a programming language called that way”).

However, some interesting reads:
sublimetext.com/blog/article … n-language
sublimetext.com/blog/article … ith-python

1 Like

Right, but as you may notice, the plugin language choice was made in a world that didn’t had Chrome, V8 or coffeescript.

I guess would be hard to switch at this moment…

Btw, indent it is NOT fixed nor decided by others. You simply need to keep it constant. That’s all.

0 Likes

Is there any chance to hear something from Jon?

0 Likes

So, does that mean you’ll STFU now and just go away?

0 Likes

[quote=“koink”]
I would like ST to

• Handle unicode properly (bidi and surrogates isn’t supported at all)
  • Do much better syntax parsing, more intellisense-ish features
  • Fix some of the bugs, like atomic saves on win64
  • Be faster on large files (jedit kills ST for editing large log files, generated xml’s, etc)
  • Support a better plugin lang than python.[/quote]

These are all side notes and do not reflect the core of Sublime at all.

No it’s not, Atom (and Brackets too) is miles away from Sublime and it will take ages before it will reach the level of Sublime.

That’s probably the worst reason to switch, there’s no garantee whatsoever of what this future will be.

Still my question remains: which editor is better than Sublime right now, at this very moment?
I don’t need editor’s that offer a promise for the future, when they are crap today.

0 Likes

Vim, of course! And Emacs! :mrgreen:

1 Like

[quote=“iamntz”]

Vim, of course! And Emacs! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Now that makes more sense than Atom.
I actually do use Emacs from time to time, however a text editor is not a monogamous commitment and Emacs is just not my first choice when editing text files.

0 Likes

[quote=“henkbb”]

Vim, of course! And Emacs! :mrgreen:
Now that makes more sense than Atom.
I actually do use Emacs from time to time, however a text editor is not a monogamous commitment and Emacs is just not my first choice when editing text files.[/quote]

Actually, I’d give a nod to Komodo Edit as well, although Sublime does seem quite a bit quicker, Komodo seems to be more full-featured and also is Python scriptable.

0 Likes

I would say that this is not a case of double standards but rather a reversal of standards.

0 Likes

I delete messages from trolls who continue to post new messages that are duplicates of old threads, who insist it is their right to disrupt normal communication, and who are abusive to other users. Such behavior is not welcome. I originally left some messages from said abusive user’s different accounts, however as the troll continues to escalate his behavior, I have no remaining tolerance. Once someone starts suggesting users commit suicide, they have made it abundantly clear they are not here to contribute in any sort of productive way.

If you see abusive messages, please flag the posts for review. Do not feed the trolls, just flag them. I have no intention of moderating messages that are critical of Sublime HQ, but I can’t stand by and allow abusive users to spew hate in a community that I am part of. If you want to be critical of anyone, even me, do so in polite way, and that should be fine.

1 Like

I can take fair criticism, and I encourage it. I’ve even posted in the past that I agree Jon should make more of a point of communication.

I didn’t do anything to the user vbond or his/her message. I don’t even have privileges to delete users. I exclusively deal with deleting spam and removing posts from the community troll. Please be aware I am not the only moderator, and just because something is deleted or locked does not mean I have anything to do with it.

The troll has been answered multiple times, even Jon has responded to his issues. Abuse of community members is not the kind of community I am willing to be a part of. Feel free to post how you want a response from Jon and Sublime HQ, although if you start acting like a troll and opening multiple messages with the same thing once a day, trying to impersonate Jon or other community members, or use abusive language towards other community members, I will moderate you. If you post fair criticism and aren’t abusive, I will not. If you want to go on a tirade, you could use a platform such as your own blog or twitter or whatever. If you have suggestions on how I can do a better job removing spam and trying to keep this community welcoming to Sublime Text users, let’s hear them.

Also, you should probably be aware that the most official way to voice your concerns to Sublime HQ is via support@sublimetext.com. I can’t control if you will get a response, but I know people do get responses. It may have to do with how you treat the person on the other end. I think it is obviously everyone’s decisionif they want to purchase and license and continue using the software. If you are a licensed user, I can only imagine your thoughts sent to those email addresses will do more than trolling and spamming in the community forum.

1 Like

[quote=“kaiser101”]
So what would you expect if people do not hear from the team or their questions go unanswered? Like vbond said, you are inadvertantly feeding the trolls. And it is not wrong for people to expect updates once in a while. There are people who purchased licenses with the assumption that Sublime Text 3 would be released in the near future. If you cannot take criticism say so. But then do not make claims about being a fair moderator.[/quote]

I would expect that they continue to act in a civilized manner and not devolve into name calling or wishing harm on others, but hey, this is the internet. Also, this has been said many times over on the forums. Purchase of a license comes with no expectations whatsoever. It explicitly states it on the purchase page. No time frame has ever been given on the release of ST3. So, if anyone purchased a license with that assumption in mind, I’m sorry, but you’re probably going to be disappointed. It’s unlikely that Jon has set a deadline for release that coincides with your personal definition of “near future”.

0 Likes