Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

What's happening

Re: What's happening

Postby randy3k on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:59 am

I was thinking to switch to atom....but it is way slow to be my daily editor. I really hope that Sublime will continue developing in my heart. There is no good replacement for Sublime (so far).
randy3k

Postby henkbb on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:15 pm

ntenney wrote:I was talking about new users. Once the software is purchased, if it works for what it was originally purchased for, then whether or not there is future development on the software is beside the point. Look at George R.R. Martin. He still writes on a wordstar word processor. He hasn't updated to a newer one because he's used to wordstar, and it fits his workflow. It doesn't matter that word has far more features than wordstar, or that wordstar doesn't even exist as a company any more. At the point where he bought wordstar, companies didn't tell users crap about update schedules, or future development. That didn't matter in his purchase. Wordstar did what he wanted it to do RIGHT THEN. So, my comment about purchasing if it meets your workflow now applies to new users, or to users that have used Sublime for years. If it's not meeting your needs, move on to something else, but don't base your purchase on what some software says it will deliver 6 months from now. If you do, you'll be screwed when they decide feature X is too much effort and it gets dropped. When I buy software, I buy it on the premise that it meets my needs now, not in some future release.

That's exactly how i feel, 1+ for that.

Looks like "koink" is someone involved with another editor (ATOM) who can't stand Sublime is still the number one choice despite it's low development pace.
I tried Atom and a lot others and they don't even come close.
The last one i tried was Brackets and allthough it looks nice, it's really really buggy.
They keep coming up with updates ( so in that respect it's not dead) but it's still buggy as hell.
Sublime, on the contrary, is a friend i can rely on and it does everything i need and fast.
There's nothing, i can think of, i would like it to do which it can't do right now especially with the large plugin base it has.

As said before: for me no editor comes close to Sublime and that should be the ONLY reason to switch to another editor... that it's simply better.
That being said the whining about the "lack of output in terms of features and info" is nothing more than a troll's game, which will only have the opposite effect.
henkbb

Postby iamntz on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:28 pm

- Support a better plugin lang than python

This argument is wrong. Any language is better than another in some ways.
Python (and Ruby as well) have the advantage of being super easy for users that are totally new to that language (e.g. i was able to write some quick plugins whenever i needed one without fidling too much with the language per se, but with the API and i all my python experience was „yeah, i know there is a programming language called that way”).

However, some interesting reads:
http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/article ... n-language
http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/article ... ith-python
iamntz

Postby iamntz on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Right, but as you may notice, the plugin language choice was made in a world that didn't had Chrome, V8 or coffeescript.

I guess would be hard to switch at this moment...

Btw, indent it is NOT fixed nor decided by others. You simply need to keep it constant. That's all.
iamntz

Postby mrogur on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:27 pm

Is there any chance to hear something from Jon?
mrogur

Postby oldwarhorse on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:45 am

koink wrote:... time to invest time in an editor with a future.

So, does that mean you'll STFU now and just go away?
oldwarhorse

Postby henkbb on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:53 am

koink wrote:I would like ST to

- Handle unicode properly (bidi and surrogates isn't supported at all)
- Do much better syntax parsing, more intellisense-ish features
- Fix some of the bugs, like atomic saves on win64
- Be faster on large files (jedit kills ST for editing large log files, generated xml's, etc)
- Support a better plugin lang than python.

These are all side notes and do not reflect the core of Sublime at all.

koink wrote:Atoms choice is much more reasonable.

No it's not, Atom (and Brackets too) is miles away from Sublime and it will take ages before it will reach the level of Sublime.

koink wrote:time to invest time in an editor with a future.

That's probably the worst reason to switch, there's no garantee whatsoever of what this future will be.

Still my question remains: which editor is better than Sublime right now, at this very moment?
I don't need editor's that offer a promise for the future, when they are crap today.
henkbb

Postby iamntz on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:30 am

Still my question remains: which editor is better than Sublime right now, at this very moment?

Vim, of course! And Emacs! :mrgreen:
iamntz

Postby henkbb on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:48 pm

iamntz wrote:

Now that makes more sense than Atom.
I actually do use Emacs from time to time, however a text editor is not a monogamous commitment and Emacs is just not my first choice when editing text files.
henkbb

Postby Dragonmaster Lou on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:09 pm

henkbb wrote:
iamntz wrote:

Now that makes more sense than Atom.
I actually do use Emacs from time to time, however a text editor is not a monogamous commitment and Emacs is just not my first choice when editing text files.

Actually, I'd give a nod to Komodo Edit as well, although Sublime does seem quite a bit quicker, Komodo seems to be more full-featured and also is Python scriptable.
Dragonmaster Lou

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion