Sublime Forum

Fix for high CPU usgage, sT3 build 3083

I was noticing high CPU usage with sT3 build 3080 on my mid-2013 MacBook Air running OSX 10.10.2. The change log claimed that build 3083 fixes the issue; however, I noticed the same problem. The solution for me was to delete sT3’s “Index” dir. After doing so and restarting sT3, sT3 was still hogging the CPU but stopped after a couple of minutes… ostensibly because it was rebuilding the Index. I hope this helps others. This fix brought to you by mrBlaQ on the ##sublimetext irc channel over at freenode. Thanks, mrBlaQ.

Update… About an hour later sT3 build 3083 is spiking the CPU again. Ugh!!!

0 Likes

Same problem here.

0 Likes

I think this may be normal behavior. It’s not happening as often as it did in build 3080. It seems to be associated with the Anaconda plugin (note… not certain). I can see how this plugin might be a resource hog.

0 Likes

Checking for plugin CPU usage vs indexing CPU usage is relatively straight forward: in the former you’d expect to see two processes, “Sublime Text” and “plugin_host”, with both having high CPU usage. That indicates a plugin is doing a lot of work. On the other hand, if you have several “Sublime Text” processes (e.g., 4 on a quad core CPU) all of which have high CPU usage, then indexing is going on. In the latter case, there will also be a percentage indicator in the status bar.

0 Likes

Even if it were indexing, using 99% CPU on 4 cores for 5-10 minutes as often as this happens looks like a bug to me, specially as this didn’t happen at all before the “fix for high cpu usage” on your previous build.

0 Likes

The problem could be related to changes having a knock-on effect to plugins. I’d suggest either disabling all plugins, a portable install (Linux/Win) or running Sublime from another profile (Mac) to test things out. If a plain install of sublime (no plugins or other changes) is problematic, that gives Jon something to go on; unless it’s affecting a large amount of users, just saying there’s a problem doesn’t make it easy to repeat and therefore fix.

Since sublime 3 runs plugins in their own process(es) one or more plugins could very well be the culprit; it’s possible that internal changes could cause a knock-on effect to plugins.

I also noticed that in certain situations plugin auto-update can fail, so it’s possible for you to be running old versions of plugins that could be more susceptible to such problems. Uninstall and reinstall them if you think that might be the case, but try to isolate down the offending plugins, by selectively disabling them, first.

I see no issues here on Linux or Win, but I’m not working with particularly large projects, concurrent projects or working with files across slow connections.

0 Likes