Sublime Forum

Why is support for Sublime Text so poor?

I appreciate ST is free, but even if I bought the premium version I still wouldnt get the support I need.

I am simply trying to work out how to create a template that creates a Markdown file with YAML front matter, something I thought was pretty simple. But No. I have been trying to work out how to do this off and on for months, and I simply get no answers.

Should I pay for someone to help me??

0 Likes

To start with, Sublime Text is not free. You might be taking advantage of the author’s generous trial period… but that does not equal free.

The community seems to be very helpful in my experience.

0 Likes

Unfortunately not in mine, and you are a prime example.

0 Likes

I would think that you need a snippet.
docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/ … ppets.html

0 Likes

[quote=“jfcherng”]I would think that you need a snippet.
docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/ … ppets.html[/quote]

Thanks, this is probably what I will have to use, but this is really what i wanted and your not the first person to simply copy and paste a URL to one of my questions.

Anything thats a bit more automated, which is what I wanted, just simply will not work or only the plugin creator knows how to work.

Here are a few examples:

github.com/dnfehren/SublimeJekyll
I added this repo, shutdown ST, tried to create New Post, nothing.

github.com/mneuhaus/SublimeFileTemplates
Again this probably what i need. But it doesnt explain hardly anything. And I seem to be the only one who has tried to use it or has had problems. It says you can make arguments but literally does not have any information on how to form arguments. I have tried to make a file template, but its adds an extension to the file name which is anomalous and there is no support to explain why or what to do.

0 Likes

[quote=“gstimpy”]To start with, Sublime Text is not free. You might be taking advantage of the author’s generous trial period… but that does not equal free.
[/quote]

I am fully prepared to pay for Sublime Text, not a problem. But what am I paying for, if I cant use its features, or even have support/documentation on how to use it.

0 Likes

Sublime Text’s documentation is great IMO.

0 Likes

Hi edison,

it looks to me that the plugin github.com/mneuhaus/SublimeFileTemplates does exactly what you want.
You say that the documentation is poor. I don’t use this plugin myself but from the looks of it, everything is explained on their github page.

Arguments have to be defined in the .file-template file. For every argument, you will be asked for it’s value.
For date and time there should be the template parameters “$date” and “$time” respectively.

Kind regards,

laputadimadre

0 Likes

Have you tried http://23maverick23.github.io/sublime-jekyll/? It seems to have better documentation than the Jekyll plugin you posted.

0 Likes

Let me get that straight: if you don’t find a plugin or the plugin you found doesn’t work as expected, the editor support is poor? :open_mouth:

0 Likes

[quote=“edison”]

Unfortunately not in mine, and you are a prime example.[/quote]

I exactly agree with the OP here, and ironically I had the exact same problem too. I am trying to find a way to make simple templates for my Markdown files. I used to use RStudio, and RMarkdown, where you could just tell it to create a new RMarkdown file and it would generate a nice little template, albeit with too much text and samples, though it was still easier than starting from a blank document.

Here is another example, in searching for a resolution for this, I came across this Package:

packagecontrol.io/packages/FileHeader

Sounds good right? It seems to do exactly what I am trying to do. And unlike many other packages listed in there, it has a long description.

Except after you install the package, you realize that the description actually tells you absolutely nothing about how to use the package. Even the little animations do not help. My Sublime does not even look the same as the configuration they’re using there. I spent 20 minutes messing with everything on that page and still could not figure out how you are supposed to get that package to work. I checked the GitHub page, and the homepage, and it just repeats all the same unhelpful info. And after 20 minutes of messing with it, I could not find any place where I could post messages or comments asking for more clarification on the package. So not only is the description cryptic and unhelpful, but there is no readily apparent easy way to contact anyone affiliated or experienced with the package for more information. I think the OP here would agree that this is the kind of problem that Sublime has, in regards to ‘support’. And all this was the best I could get after a lot of Googling.

The Snippets page posted here (docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/ … ppets.html) was actually very close to what I was looking for, and the page itself is exactly what I need; clear and detailed instructions. If you are making these kinds of packages, you need to write the descriptions in a narrative format, not in a code-commenting format as seems to be common. The description is for the layperson who has no clue what is going on, not for the fellow coder who has background knowledge on the subject. Telling me that “these are the available arguments” is absolutely useless if I don’t have a clue how to use or invoke any of them in the first place. Funny how the “Sublime Text Unofficial Documentation” is much more helpful than any “official” documentation that I’ve been able to find. To be clear, I am not saying that there are not good instructions out there; if there are, I have not been able to find them, which is itself part of the problem.

0 Likes