Sublime Forum

Looking for ST3 c++ IDE setup guide for linux

Hi, I’m struggling trying to set up ST3 for Debian 8 as my IDE. I can output some things to Sublime’s console, but I’m missing the interactivity when I need to input data into the console.

I’m brand new to Linux, so I don’t understand how everything works yet, which is why I’m looking for a guide to take me through the steps.

As a little background, my current environment is Visual c++ 2010 in windows 7. I like all the breakpoints so I can debug and view contents of variables and things like that. I also like that it runs the console that allows for input/output.

I don’t expect to have the full fledged debugging in ST3, but I do care to have the input/output interaction in console. Whether it’s Sublime’s console or the Linux terminal, I don’t care.

Looking forward to getting started. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

0 Likes

Hi there,

Given that you are familiar with visual studio, I have to say that you can never expect the same features in ST, there is a great difference between an IDE and an Editor, no one is better than the other, it’s all personal preference, I’d say give ST a try, and you’ll soon find out that you could still be more productive.

So, to use ST as an “IDE”, you may need to install a few plugins.

For code navigation:
CTags
cscope (I personally only use find all and just jump from the Result List)

For linting
SublimeLinter

For completion:
You must try packagecontrol.io/packages/YcmdCompletion, it’s based on YouCompleteMe’s ycmd, it is by far the best completion I think you can get.

For debugging:
I suggest you do it the old fashion way, just try to learn gdb, you will soon find it quite handy. Here’s a link for you to start.
beej.us/guide/bggdb/

Also Here’s a somewhat outdated link from the chromium project.
chromium.org/developers/sublime-text

0 Likes

SublimeClang, pretty much all you need.
My current setup works flawlessly(at least I think so).

0 Likes