Sublime Forum

Forum software

Any good reasons for Sublime to use an 8 year old version of a bad forum platform?

I’d really like being able to subscribe…

0 Likes

AFAIR the missing possibility to subscribe is intended.

0 Likes

That makes absolutely no sense.

0 Likes

My guess is Jon being a one-man army has no interest in updating the forum as long as it continues being just decent enough for discussion, because well forum stuff isn’t interesting and he probably has more interest in working in other different things that we have no idea about.

in brief, bleh

0 Likes

[quote=“dubeg_01”]My guess is Jon being a one-man army has no interest in updating the forum as long as it continues being just decent enough for discussion, because well forum stuff isn’t interesting and he probably has more interest in working in other different things that we have no idea about.

in brief, bleh[/quote]

I see what you mean. His last visit was one and half month ago.

Pretty sad “community leadership”

0 Likes

Without descending into the usual yah boo about Jon’s visibility, proactivity etc., the OP asks a fair question. PHPbb is pretty old and monolithic, is full of security issues and this installation is crippled by lack of subscription options etc…

Probably the best solution is for the Sublime community to create an alternative solution, as happened with the issue tracker. But in doing so, we’d need Jon on board because this forum would have to be locked or disappear, its content either migrated or frozen and its userbase and profiles moved to the new platform.

Like many others, I’m for this, but - unlike the issue tracker - we’d need Jon on board to move things forward.

:smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“qgates”]Without descending into the usual yah boo about Jon’s visibility, proactivity etc., the OP asks a fair question. PHPbb is pretty old and monolithic, is full of security issues and this installation is crippled by lack of subscription options etc…

Probably the best solution is for the Sublime community to create an alternative solution, as happened with the issue tracker. But in doing so, we’d need Jon on board because this forum would have to be locked or disappear, its content either migrated or frozen and its userbase and profiles moved to the new platform.

Like many others, I’m for this, but - unlike the issue tracker - we’d need Jon on board to move things forward.

:smile:[/quote]

I think you are blaming the tool while the problem is the lack of update of the tool by the owner. I maintain a phpbb forum which is significantly more active than this one (like 10 times more messages), yet we never experience any down time like this forum and never suffered from any security issue in many years of operations and we have a lot more features for end-users. Personnally, what I don’t like in Sublime forums are mainly 3 things, it’s constantly down, it’s not mobile friendly and spam. The problem here is not that phpBB is not adequate for the job, it is, there are phpbb forums online with millions of messages and none of the problems this specific instance runs into. The problems here IMO are:

• Not having migrated to phpBB 3.1 which is a complete rewrite of phpbb based on symfony components
  • Running an obsolete 3.0 version (apparently 3.0.4 while the last version in the 3.0 branch is 3.0.14)
  • Not having set up an antispam plugin
  • Not having delegated some or part of the forum maintainance to somebody else.

If the forum were just upgraded to 3.1, there would be tons of additional end-user features, a transparent plugin system to add more features such as an antispam, it would be mobile-friendly and updates would just be a click in the admin panel, so basically that’s some initial migration work that would pay off very rapidly in maintenance cost. That said, given that the forum apparently runs a 2007 version of phpBB, I am not sure they will ever be updated, since the forums are not maintained, there is no “maintenance cost” for the owner.

0 Likes

That’s essentially what he said many, many months ago (though this was about administering an email server): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2807&p=13152&hilit=subscription#p13145

I imagine administering the forum server is pretty much right there as well.

0 Likes

If john allows i can setup a new board forum to sublime text

0 Likes