Sublime Forum

Woohoo Mac support

I guess I’m in the minority of Mac coders, but I do not like TextMate. It hangs when opening large files, has weird shortcuts (Cmd-L for goto line, wtf?), and just generally gets in the way. I’ve used Sublime on Ubuntu and PC in the past and loved it. Checked back today and found out you’re working on ST2 and it supports Mac! Just installed it, and cruising around is like a breath of fresh air. Looking forward to throwing TextMate permanently in the trash can.

0 Likes

A big +1 to Davepar’s post. I’ve been looking for a Textmate replacement for more than a year. I just discovered the Sublime Text 2 alpha this morning, and to say that I’m extremely impressed would be an understatement. I’ll be one of the first Mac developers in line to fork over $60 when Sublime Text 2 is officially released. Keep up the great work!

0 Likes

I had a love/hate thing with TextMate - I found it elegant and powerful (with some glaring exceptions in areas like multi-file search) but I’m not terribly proficient in Unix tools or scripts so I didn’t do much customization. Now in Sublime I’ve coded up some neat things in Python I wouldn’t even try in TextMate (or did try but gave up).

0 Likes

What I find amazing is that it’s the only text editing app I’ve used on a Mac that supports the Home key the way all editors should… One press takes you to the first character, and a second press takes you to the first column. Maybe I’m just a Windows guy at heart, but that should be in every editor. Thanks for making sure it made it into the Mac version!

0 Likes

I thought I’d add my thank you for Mac support message :smile:

I’ve used TextMate and Coda on friends macs before and it’s been a dreadful experience. Too bloated, too noisy, too fussy etc etc. I’m a Windows guy since I can remember, but I’ve always wanted a reason to buy a Mac because they are nice and I do like them. But being a developer, I’ve never had a reason to go buy one.

Maybe it’s a bad thing that I spent £1000 getting it, but Sublime was the reason and I’m glad I did. It’s a joy to work with and my experience is mirrored from Windows. I love it.

0 Likes