Sublime Forum

Goodbye Sublime Text

Sadly, I have moved away from Sublime to Atom and Visual Studio Code too.

Sublime did have many advantages before, but right now the only one I can think of is speed. And it is rarely an issue in Atom for me. It might be different for people with low end machines, or working with very large files and complex projects. In my experience Atom is on par (or even faster) with other “native” editors I have tried on OSX such as Coda, WebStorm, etc.

Atom’s community is growing at lightspeed, and is 100% customisable. It might not be the best editor for everyone, but it has everything I can possibly need and it’s only getting better.

I was a hard die fan too, but Sublime 3 (while very functional) is simply taking too long and is suffering from the typical single-dev problems. You can rely on a community or even a company, but relying on an individual is a risky business.

0 Likes

I’ve been lurking these forums since I bought a license back in April. Apologies for a bit of a rant:

I hope it’s not too cynical - but I really do expect that one of these days we will hear that ST has been shuttered. I would not blame JPS - he doesn’t owe anyone who paid a thing other than what we agreed to in the license.

That said, I probably would not have paid $70 for ST2/ST3 license if I had been under the impression that focus was being shifted to a nebulous notion of ST4. And I was told that I would need to buy another license for that product…Worse (in my opinion) is that the once-vibrant plugin scene seems to have dried up over the course of 2014/2015.

Sublime is working fine and is quite stable and quick. I cannot complain about that. However the community in the form of working packages and extensions was the reason I bought; a solid core that could be extended via Python. But isn’t that what the Vim gui clients are? With IntelliJ and VS Code and Webstorm and even Atom catching up to ST3 in performance, what is the benefit of sticking with it?

Like others, I pick these things by what works. And as a full-time engineer I must admit that even a cursory look I took at Atom this week has shown me through my improved productivity that it is a better editor than ST3.

It’s slightly slower, yes however far more extensible: I can preview markdown in the editor, eval non-REPL languages in a terminal pane, run Scala worksheets, see CI build status, see git/hg status, change hex colors with a picker, diff files, etc. Remote-pair programming was the easiest I have ever used and was intoxicating. Linking build errors directly to issue tickets on GitHub is very useful.

The community around Atom is friendly and growing, and almost any HTML/CSS/JS component can be easily integrated. That is awesome. It just keeps getting better, and it’s just plain not getting better for ST in my opinion.

So I’ve uninstalled Sublime, eaten the $70 as a business expense and moved on to using Vim, Atom and IntelliJ in different aspects of my tool kit.

0 Likes

The main reason people are switching to Atom in droves is that Sublime HQ the past two years has only done the bare minimum to keep interest up. People are figuring this out, so the communication is not only lacking, it comes across as disingenuous. I predict another small burst of releases this fall, then silence for six months. It’s appalling. But I also feel kinda bad for saying all this, because who knows what’s going on, maybe illness or financial troubles. Fact is, people are migrating to Atom and Bracket.io in numbers, and I tend to think some level communication would benefit Sublime (the uncertainty surrounding Sublime made me take another look at Atom, and I’m impressed by the editor and the people around it)

0 Likes

Thanks for your insightful argument. I’m convinced that I’m wrong now.

Where’s yours?

People are not. Deal with it.

0 Likes

[quote=“tux.”]

People are not. Deal with it.[/quote]

Oh, but they are.

0 Likes

I am not, friends are not. Oh, they are not.

0 Likes

As evidenced by download stats and threads like this, they are. Also, I’m glad you’re not, clowns should stick with the dead editor.

0 Likes

Yeah, it just sucks to have paid for something and be in that situation.

I write Clojure so it’s a bit weird that I never got into Emacs (I always felt faster in Vim). Much respect for it though - it’s a damn-near operating system :sunglasses:

0 Likes

[quote=“JacobWille”]

As evidenced by download stats and threads like this, they are. Also, I’m glad you’re not, clowns should stick with the dead editor.[/quote]

Calm down. tux is a troll and you took the bait. A lot of people say they move, others don’t. Let people pick their tools.

0 Likes

I 100% agree with this sentiment. As for the reason why, I doubt financials would cause it. Using packagecontrol.io/stats, I think 250K paying users is a highly conservative estimate. Multiplied with even the old license cost makes me think he has motivation issues rather than money issues :smile: Either way, sad for the users, but hey - we now have atom so who gives a shit.

0 Likes

I do. Many of us do - we’re not debating merits of OSS here, so if people find that commercial website useful and there’s a free editor that offers this, then it’s a reasonable feature.

I disagree. Having the source of an editor is important if your organization distributes in-house customizations. The fact that in Atom you can do so with simple CoffeeScript or JavaScript is very nice. We can also extend existing packages like remote-pairing to make them more specifically tailored for our environment.

Whether the modifications to source are “dirty” or not depends on the quality of the edits (and the programmer), not the editor itself. There is nothing intrinsically dirty about the Atom source.

0 Likes

Neither this thread nor the number of automated bot downloads evidences any sane human using that piece of crap.

That escalated quickly. So everyone who chooses a different editor than Atom is a “clown” for you? I smell serious bias here.
(And bullshit.)

Vim has SLIMV, at least; so you can pretend it’s Emacs. :mrgreen:

So choosing Atom is “picking their tools”, not choosing Atom is “trolling”? Are you a bit slow?

0 Likes

Another logical fallacy. You’re on a roll tux!

0 Likes

Please answer my question. Why do you want me to let people pick their tools while calling me a troll for not choosing Atom?

0 Likes

I want you to understand logical thinking. For your own sake. You’re not a troll for not choosing Atom. You’re just a troll. You took a perfectly fine and interesting thread, and you trolled it up like you always do.

0 Likes

I want you to explain which of my statements can be misunderstood as “trolling” and why.

0 Likes

qed

0 Likes

qed, indeed. Thanks for your insightful remarks, now everyone can see who of us is contributing valuable input and who of us is just calling names. Thank you.

“Boo-hoo! tux. is a troll!”
“What did I do?”
“TROLLING!”
“Where?”
“QED!!111”

:smiley: Made my day.

0 Likes

[quote=“tux.”]qed, indeed. Thanks for your insightful remarks, now everyone can see who of us is contributing valuable input and who of us is just calling names. Thank you.

“Boo-hoo! tux. is a troll!”
“What did I do?”
“TROLLING!”
“Where?”
“QED!!111”

:smiley: Made my day.[/quote]

I’m the original poster, and by “great community” I didn’t mean people like tux. Could a moderator please stop this?

0 Likes

Could the “original poster” clarify what he’s trying to blame me for?

Assume the next moderator here will see this thread. What do you think he will see? If I was that moderator, I’d see a bunch of Atom fantrolls trying to bash an Emacs user for stating that Atom’s browser engine is basically a browser engine.

Great community you have there. :mrgreen:

-edit- Oh, btw @dinkit, insulting people per PM does not validate your point of view.

0 Likes