Sublime Forum

Add in file's contextmenu (edit with sublime)

How can i add sublime 2 in text file’s context menu (Edit with sublime…)?
I use portable version of Sublime text 2 beta.

thanks. :unamused:

0 Likes

This option is available in the standard setup, why not use it ?

It’s a little bit strange to want a permanent system integration for a portable application.

Another option is to do it yourself by adding an entry in the registry, you could find lot of examples on Google.

0 Likes

It’s not that strange for me. It’s exactly what I need too!

The reason I want it is, at work, every time I start a fully installed Sublime Text 2 it hangs for 10-15 seconds. The reason for the slowness is that our user folders are held on server and Sublime reads from those every time it starts. The solution for me was to install the portable version because everything the program needs is held in my local drive.

0 Likes

There’s a good guide to adding to the context menu here for Windows.

It may be possible to find an application that can assist in the process(?). However, I would prefer to do it myself, as it’s relatively straight-forward and I wouldn’t like to trust it to an untested app. The link also describes how to create a ‘.reg’ file - essentially a batch process - in case you need to repeat the process for your portable ST version. Although, you’ll need to be wary in case the portable drive letter changes?!

Of course,** always backup the registry** before making any changes.

Nirsoft have freeware utilities called shexview and shmnview that help to maintain, and disable, context-menu entries.

If you’re not on Windows then… someone else might advise you :wink:

0 Likes

Thank you agibsonsw! I followed the guides there and I now have what I need.

It would be great if there was a .reg file to do this in the portable version, though I understand that not everybody would need this.

0 Likes