Sublime Forum

OSX and new windows

Since build 2078, double-clicking files in the Finder, or dragging them to ST causes a new window to open. Previously a new tab opened. I really dislike the new behavior, since it creates a cacaphony of open windows. Can we please have a preference? Thanks,

Jeremy

0 Likes

[quote=“jeremydb”]Since build 2078, double-clicking files in the Finder, or dragging them to ST causes a new window to open. Previously a new tab opened. I really dislike the new behavior, since it creates a cacaphony of open windows. Can we please have a preference? Thanks,

Jeremy[/quote]

+1, using ST2 in conjunction with an FTP app to remote edit files is now an exercise in frustration.

0 Likes

I’d like to see that when a file is opened from a location that is already open in an existing ST2 window, it should open in a new tab in that window.

If the containing folder is not already in the sidebar of an existing ST2 window, a new window should open.

This would allow you to open your FTP app’s cache folder and have all files opened remotely open in the same ST2 window, without making ALL files open in an existing ST2 window.

0 Likes

[quote=“mrmachine”]I’d like to see that when a file is opened from a location that is already open in an existing ST2 window, it should open in a new tab in that window.

If the containing folder is not already in the sidebar of an existing ST2 window, a new window should open.

This would allow you to open your FTP app’s cache folder and have all files opened remotely open in the same ST2 window, without making ALL files open in an existing ST2 window.[/quote]

This would work for me, I used to use a similar setup with TextMate + Transmit (and ForkLift).

0 Likes

This seems reasonable. I’d like it if the new windows would not all open in the same location, though, as well.

0 Likes

There’s now a setting in 2083 to go back to the previous behaviour.

0 Likes

Thank you!

jb

0 Likes

[quote=“jeremydb”]

Thank you!

jb[/quote]

i wasn’t able to get it to work. i added:

"open_files_in_new_window": false

in Base File.sublime-settings (the file opened with cmd-,) and quit+restarted ST2. still exhibiting the same behavior for me. any luck on your end, jeremydb?

0 Likes

It’s a global setting, rather than a file level setting

0 Likes

Ah, ok. That worked, thanks!

I have to admit the preferences setup is a bit confusing as a Mac user – I guess it’s just unusual to have access to application-level settings, or even anything beyond a pretty window of settings that opens with cmd-, haha. Though I think it’s a fair trade-off to have such powerful customization options, as well as the kick-ass editor at the core.

Also, quick note, there’s a typo in your comment here in Global.sublime-settings:

[quote] // OS X only: When filter are opened from finder, or by dragging onto the
[/quote]

0 Likes

I agree! User interfaces are hard - and user interfaces for preferences are really hard. Nobody gets it right anyway, so why waste valuable time on it?

0 Likes

This setting doesn’t seem to work if you’re on a different Space than ST2’s when opening the file on Finder. Does everyone get that same behaviour?

It would be really great for me if it worked in this situation as well because I often keep Finder windows and Sublime in different Spaces.

0 Likes

Interesting this may explain why it never seemed to work for me!

0 Likes