Sublime Forum

Soda Theme - New Sublime Text 2 UI theme

I love it! It looks so polished and nice. Makes ST2 look even more elegant! Thank you!!! :smiley:

0 Likes

buymeasoda, could you make Soda Dark be just a little tiny bit darker? (particularly the panes look whitish, they’re a bit washed out.) Maybe just match the tone and contrast of the status bar a bit… and perhaps the background behind the tabs, it could match the tone of the sidebar, what do you think?

0 Likes

Great job with these themes! I find the light version too bright, but the dark one looks beatiful!

One remark, though:

At least on Windows, when you’re typing into Goto Anything, the highlighting of matching text in the paths is hardly visible.

See: imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/winqi.png/

0 Likes

There is any chance of releasing psd images on github as well? Thanks.

0 Likes

you can tweak these in Soda Dark.sublime-theme in lines 381-398:

{ "class": "quick_panel_label", "fg": [204, 204, 204, 255], "match_fg": [255, 255, 255, 255], "bg": [33, 33, 33, 255], "selected_fg": [204, 204, 204, 255], "selected_match_fg": [255, 255, 255, 255], "selected_bg": [30, 30, 30, 255] }, { "class": "quick_panel_path_label", "fg": [102, 102, 102, 255], "match_fg": [130, 130, 130, 255], "bg": [33, 33, 33, 255], "selected_fg": [102, 102, 102, 255], "selected_match_fg": [130, 130, 130, 255], "selected_bg": [30, 30, 30, 255] },

i also wanted a slightly brighter match color.

thanks for putting together a dark theme! really easy on the eyes, very much appreciated.

0 Likes

The dark theme is amazing! Should be the new default theme imo.

My only complaint is the status bar. The gradient really doesn’t look good there. Should be flat or a much subtler gradient.

0 Likes

Thanks for the feedback :smile:

If people don’t mind, for those having any issues, can you post the basics of your operating environment? So I can understand if certain problems or differences are only occurring with certain OS setups. For example, one of the developers at my work has text rendering with a black background in the goto anything results text on Ubuntu, but in other setups it is fine.

If you can, please include: Operating System and OS Version. So far, the theme design and development process has been done on machines running Mac OS X Lion and Snow Leopard.

And screenshots are really welcomed if the issue is tricky to describe.

Ian

0 Likes

Wow, this is fantastic. The light theme is just what I’ve been looking for. The default theme looks fine on my Mac, but I would prefer a light theme. Also, I think the crappy old monitor I use with Windows at work is responsible for the fact that I can barely see the tab outlines or the scroll bar indicators at all there. I’m looking forward to trying this out on that machine. Thanks for this!

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

Thank you for a great theme.
Light theme is displaying perfectly on Win.

0 Likes

Hawt damn that black theme is nice :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“guillermooo”]Great job with these themes! I find the light version too bright, but the dark one looks beatiful!

One remark, though:

At least on Windows, when you’re typing into Goto Anything, the highlighting of matching text in the paths is hardly visible.

See: imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/winqi.png/[/quote]

I agree with Guillermo that the contrast between the selected item and the other items in the quick panel is a touch too subtle. That said, the theme looks amazing and surprisingly makes Sublime Text look even better and more polished. Great work!

I’m using the windows portable version 2085 on Windows Vista.

0 Likes

The buttons in the find or replace bottom box have white text on light gray background, which makes it hard to read:
cl.ly/8kcy

On Win7, running Build: 2076 of ST2

0 Likes

Now all we need is the new sheet_list_control styling implemented :wink: om nom nom. And maybe a dark version of Soda Custom theme?

0 Likes

[quote=“buymeasoda”]
2) They are not visible, then when you hover over the tab, they become visible
Is 2 what you are experiencing?[/quote]

Yes it is, latest dv build and up-to-date theme from github.

0 Likes

[quote=“mehigh”]The buttons in the find or replace bottom box have white text on light gray background, which makes it hard to read:
cl.ly/8kcy

On Win7, running Build: 2076 of ST2[/quote]

Control over the text colour for these buttons was added by Jon in a later build (Build 2084, Release Date: 20 July 2011) which is only currently available if you’re running the install from the dev channel. When the changes from those dev builds make their way into a stable release, or for people running the latest dev build, the text renders as black.

Dev install link is sublimetext.com/dev if you’re keen to get the latest Sublime Text 2 working version.

0 Likes

I think I’ll be removing the show close button display on hover, in favour of matching what the latest dev builds have. Which is: If show tabs is on the tabs always show and if show tabs if off, they never show. That what you were hoping for in terms of behaviour?

0 Likes

I really like your Soda Dark theme. I of course like to tweak thing so might I suggest that you move the Theme - Soda folder out of the User folder and place in in the main Packages folder. This way a user could create a Soda Dark.sublime-theme file in their User folder to allow overriding some of the setting without needing to changing the original file. This was what I was doing with the Default theme.

Another option would be to move all themes into a Packages/Themes folder and that would contain all themes where the *.sublime-theme files would be in the Themes folder and all graphics would be in the Theme_Name folders, i.e. Default, Soda Dark\ etc. One of the drawbacks I see with the approach is version control of separate theme packages would be difficult.

Dan

0 Likes

I think you’re right, that /Packages is probably the better choice rather than /Packages/User. And if that setup lets you have convenient access to overriding any of the theme settings easily then it makes even more sense.

I took a gamble on my interpretation of what the “User” folder might be for, and from some of the discussions I’ve had, it looks like it’s more for the individual users customisation, rather than general, third party / non-core (aka not shipped by default) customisations.

There were a few points raised over on the GitHub page about it: github.com/buymeasoda/soda-theme/issues/10

Perhaps Jon, you’d be able to confirm, should the theme be moved to /Packages? Is that the preferred location for things like a UI theme?

Suggestion: One of the ideas for circumventing pathing issues with theme assets could be to path from the theme file location down relatively, rather than making paths relative to the fixed /Packages starting point (more details on the github issues page). Then it wouldn’t matter if the theme was placed directly in /Packages, or /Packages/User as the assets would always be referencable.

0 Likes

User isn’t the right place, I’d suggest making a package called ‘Theme - Soda’, with two files in it, ‘Soda Light.sublime-theme’ and ‘Soda Dark.sublime-theme’: basically what you’ve got now, but in a package of its own, rather than under User.

Theme relative paths are a little bit tricky. Themes themselves don’t naturally have a path - when loading, all files across all packages named ‘Soda Light.sublime-theme’ are loaded and merged, and the result used for the theme. It would be reasonable to preprocess the data though, perhaps replacing ‘$package’ in strings with the package of the file in question before the merging step.

0 Likes