Sublime Forum

Enter command mode instead of visual mode after searching

With Vim, I use the search feature as the primary method of navigation. With Vintage mode, I can hit “/” to search, but it’s different than Vim in that it visually selects the matched string when you hit Enter, instead of entering command mode with the cursor on the start of the matched string. Is there any way to make it behave like Vim, so I don’t have to escape from visual mode and then manually navigate to the start of the matched string?

Edit: This is literally the only thing currently keeping me from switching from Vim. Please help!

0 Likes

I looks like it isn’t implemented yet, but I should be possible.

0 Likes

Can it be implemented as a plugin? If so, any hints on how to do so?

0 Likes

This is on the todo list - I’ll need to make a couple of changes to the way the find panel works, so that it can be told to not select the found text. This part can’t be done via a plugin, unfortunately (at least not without reimplementing the find panel via an input panel).

0 Likes

+1 on this feature – everytime I search I end up really confused. I understand this would be a little difficult to implement though.

0 Likes

The current implementation of this is almost perfect! Thanks for adding this. All this is missing is that after searching, there’s now no visual cue to indicate where the search result is, so I’m often lost. Vim does this by highlighting the word, but not selecting it. In ST, we have the little outline boxes, but those are only there while the search panel is up, and it goes away after hitting enter. Is it possible to keep that up and even make it a little more aggressively visible?

0 Likes

I’m also really missing this feature.

0 Likes