Sublime Forum

Default syntax mode for files without dot extensions

I’d like to set the default syntax to Ruby for files that do not have dot extensions (e.g. Gemfile, Guardfile). It seems the extensions key in Ruby.sublime-settings files only applies to dot extensions. Rakefile defaults to Ruby syntax, and this seems to be defined in Ruby.tmLanguage. Is there a way to add these other filenames in a user-specific settings file so I don’t have to modify the core tmLanguage file?

Related question: How would I extend this to other types of path/filename pattern matching? Like, if I wanted foo.rb to default to Ruby but foo_spec.rb to default to RSpec.

Thanks!

1 Like

i would also love to see a solution for this!

0 Likes

I am also interested in this. Anyone add this to the uservoice site?

I like the idea of a regex on filename or path. I have used similar functionality with vim.

0 Likes

Currently the only way to add an association for extensionless files is directly in the .tmLanguage file

0 Likes

This would be a huge feature for rails devs :smile:

0 Likes

the SetSyntax plugin will do this. I am patching a fork that will add directory matching. Not sure if I want to do regex, or just list of literal strings.

I am leaning towards literal strings, for simplicity.

0 Likes

Submit the patch as a pull request, I’ll be happy to integrate it.

0 Likes

I think for the time being I am going to have to put St2 up and get back to vim. It is way too dynamic right now and I am spending too much non-project time fiddling with it. I’ll check back in a few releases.

0 Likes