Sublime Forum

Sublime 2 and team-based development

Hi,

My team is considering adopting Sublime Text 2 as its go-to editor. We all share a single development environment and a lot of our development involves directly accessing and editing files within that environment.

I was curious if anyone has experience using Sublime in a similar scenario, with a large (>20) development team? Mostly we are concerned with the performance impact (if any) on the servers where our Dev environment lives, and if anyone has found a way to configure how ST2 does its indexing (for things like projects and Goto Anything); but just hearing some success stories or any useful info would be great too. Thanks!

0 Likes

If you concern about things like this, probably you don’t use a version control system. Or you don’t use it correctly.

0 Likes

Yes, unfortunately many of our projects are older and use SourceSafe for version control, and in many cases we prefer touching the same codebase. Otherwise we would not have this concern :smile:

Aside from changing our versioning methods, do you have any other advice in regards to using Sublime Text 2 in our situation? Thanks.

0 Likes

Use a damn vcs! This is the best advice i can give you.

You can use git (or other distributed vcs) and use a local pc as a central repo. And from once in a while push to that server.

I guess is some kind of suicide what are you trying to do…

0 Likes

While I agree with iamntz about getting a VCS, to answer the original question, we have a few projects that are stored on a local Linux server that exposes the /var/www through Samba. When we work from this Sublime handles it really well for goto anything, find in files and other similar stuff. We just drag the project’s root directory into sublime and it’s as fast as local development. The only time it can be a bit slow is with bigger files, but that’s true of local files sometimes too.

I’m not sure if that actually is an answer to the original question (almost sounds like you’re talking about sharing an instance of sublime on a central server or something).

0 Likes

Thanks alex, that’s a pretty good answer. Only a couple of us would be directly editing on the development server at a time (maybe I wasn’t clear, we DO use vcs, but some of our projects use SourceSafe instead of SVN because they are older and in these cases many of the developers like to directly touch the code base). Sounds like maybe the only difference is that ALL of our dev websites live on this same server. So in our case we are more worried about a couple Sublime users slowing down development for the entire team. Does that sound likely to you?

0 Likes