Sublime Forum

Key combos detection

Hi folks,
I’m trying to understand if ST2 may be my next editor (switching from TextMate). I’ve searched the forum for a couple of questions I have, with no luck. So… please forgive me if these are silly questions:

Is there a way to assign the same shortcut to several actions (as in ™), having a contextual menu with the possible choices on every shortcut invocation?

Is there a way to know the action(s) bound to a particular combo?
I mean: how can I know whether, say, ⌘⌥H is free or it is already bound to an action; and in the second case, what action?

TIA

bblue

0 Likes

Sorry guys, just to know: is this question

• too stupid?
  • too difficult?
  • what else?

:wink:

0 Likes

Hey,

For the first question, there is so way to have 2 shortcuts appear in a context menu. If you’re looking to reuse keys, you can try using a sequence. For example, bind action one to “control + K, control + B” and action two to “control + K, control + C.” These means that without releasing control you press K and then either B or C. I hope this makes some sense. You can probably search the forum for a better explanation of sequences.

For your second question, there is a way to see key bindings. It may not be as nice as you’d like; however, you can go to Preferences > Default - Key Bindings to see a JSON file with all of the default key bindings. You can optionally add your own keybindings to the Preferences > User - Key Bindings. This will not list all the key bindings because many of the plugins have their own key bindings. You can find them in the Plugin’s folder in your Sublime App Data folder. Preferences > Browse Packages.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes

Hi C0D312, thank you for your answer!

OK. It’s a pity though, because I find it useful in TextMate, where not-so-often used commands may be bound to the same shortcut.

Thanks, I perfectly understand what a sequence is, and love it. But some commands are so rarely used that they don’t deserve a unique shorcut.

Definitely “not as nice as I’d like”! :wink:
But thank you very much for your explanation.

Cheers,

bblue

0 Likes

Just wondering, have you tried using the “command palette” (shift+command+p), you can have easy access to most of sublime’s commands.

0 Likes

Yes, I have. Actually it is very useful.

Thank you.

:smile:

0 Likes

Would be great to get this implemented… with so many shortcuts that can be assigned it would be GREAT help to get a dropdown list of shortcuts assigned to a specific key combo…

0 Likes