Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text 2 is a great editor. Let's improve the brand.

Re: Sublime Text 2 is a great editor. Let's improve the brand.

Postby tux. on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:30 am

SeanWcom wrote:What about Windows 7, and Windows 8? I'm certainly not a designer - but I like the "version" in the title. It's not so much the version number as it is the generation number. Much like Win7 , Win8, etc... the version number is more specific (Build 2126).

Windows 7 is Windows version 6.1. Technically, a very small upgrade to Vista, regardless of the "superbar" thingy there. There goes your point.
tux.

Postby adzenith on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:35 am

Jay Levitt wrote:As soon as we hit the tipping point where when we say Sublime Text, we mean ST2, the 2 can fall off. Long-time ST users could say better than I whether we've hit that point already.

I personally hit that point about a month after ST2 (Sublime Text X, at the time) was released. :)
adzenith

Postby Cottser on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Cottser wrote:As for me, on OS X I've renamed the application to "Sublime Text" and that gets rid of most traces of the numeral, i.e. in the application switcher and dock.

Never mind this. It breaks Sparkle or whatever is being used as the update mechanism. I can live with the number.
Cottser

Postby SeanWcom on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:25 pm

tux. wrote:
SeanWcom wrote:What about Windows 7, and Windows 8? I'm certainly not a designer - but I like the "version" in the title. It's not so much the version number as it is the generation number. Much like Win7 , Win8, etc... the version number is more specific (Build 2126).

Windows 7 is Windows version 6.1. Technically, a very small upgrade to Vista, regardless of the "superbar" thingy there. There goes your point.

LOL... actually, you just helped prove my point (which you clearly missed). Look at the text you specifically quoted from my post (double quoted above).

I put the word "version" in quotes. I specifically said that it is "...not so much the version number as it is the generation number." See what I did there? Windows 7 isn't the version, it's the generation (or whatever you want to call it).

Anyway... thanks for trying to call me out, troll, flame, whatever. Lets try not to derail a valid discussion.
Multiple selections... one of my favorite ST2 features. View some noob-friendly screen casts here.
SeanWcom

Postby flexgrip on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:57 am

I think it is important to recognize the difference between a developer, designer, and branding expert. I'm not saying it is the case here (at all). But I see it all the time. A designer works at an ad agency long enough... all of a sudden they are an expert on ID, Branding, Marketing, and even efficiency.

Everyone thinks they are an amazing creative. But more often than not, developers like myself, and designers especially, should stay the hell away from ID. There are all kinds of rules people come up with to justify how incredible they are at branding a company. And all kinds of folk-tale reasons why they choose one name over the other.

Just remember that it is not a science, but it is logical. Companies like Walmart spend millions of dollars on focus groups and split testing for brand focusing. They don't do brand focusing based off of their mom's reaction. Which is common justification for why designers self title as branding experts.

I vote to drop the 2, simply because simplification is the most common branding technique on the planet. Good thread...
flexgrip

Postby oats on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Makes sense to drop the 2 from the official name.

Another change I'd like is removing the space: SublimeText, rather than Sublime_Text.

It's a fantastic program, by any name.
oats

Previous

Return to General Discussion