Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

edit same file in multiple columns or windows?

edit same file in multiple columns or windows?

Postby rab on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Is this possible? I'd like to have the same file visible in multiple windows and/or columns (in multi-column layout). Sometimes I'm editing near the middle of a file, but I want to have the top of that file visible in another window, or another column.

Loving this program so far...
rab

Re: edit same file in multiple columns or windows?

Postby adzenith on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:59 am

File>Clone File. Drag the new tab to a different column.

@jps: Could this menu item be renamed? This isn't the first time I've answered this question on this forum, and I think it's because the name is a little confusing.
adzenith

Postby wbond on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:20 am

The other way to do it is to focus on a different Group (Ctrl+Group Num) and then use Goto File to open the filename.
wbond

Postby jps on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:16 am

adzenith wrote:@jps: Could this menu item be renamed? This isn't the first time I've answered this question on this forum, and I think it's because the name is a little confusing.

I'm open to a more descriptive name. IIRC, it was called "New View into File" in S1, but there was still plenty of confusion with that name too.
jps
Site Admin

Postby whee on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:40 pm

jps wrote:
adzenith wrote:@jps: Could this menu item be renamed? This isn't the first time I've answered this question on this forum, and I think it's because the name is a little confusing.

I'm open to a more descriptive name. IIRC, it was called "New View into File" in S1, but there was still plenty of confusion with that name too.

"Duplicate File View"?
whee

Postby slestak989 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Split View maybe? It could be phrased as an operation on the current view. Maybe only have it in a context menu on the view, and offer a vertical or horizontal split.
Using ST2 on: Win7 Pro 64 || Win7 32|| Fedora 16
slestak989

Return to General Discussion