Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Dev Build 2147

Re: Dev Build 2147

Postby Juje007 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 pm

I love the "Hexadecimal encoding, for basic editing of binary files" although I probably never gonna use it.
But open movie files with sublime is possible now :D.

~Juje007
Juje007

Postby facelessuser on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 pm

You also tweaked minimap and made my day :).
Edit: Not as I originally thought :(. Opened a bigger file and still click goes to proportional position. I think I jumped the gun on this.

jps wrote:* OSX: When editing files you don't have permission to edit, you'll be prompted for elevated privileges to save the file. This enables editing of /etc/hosts, for example.

Nice. Thanks for this.

jps wrote:Dev Build 2147 is out now. Some of the changes are:

* Hexadecimal encoding. Files may be opened as hex, which allows editing binary files in a meaning manner. While this does enable editing binary files, it's not a hex editing mode per-se, and I'm not planning on adding any further functionality here. It exists so binary files, when opened as a preview by Goto Anything, are displayed in a reasonable manner. It also reduces font glyph rasterisation load, which binary files used to cause, so you'll no longer get a hitch when previewing binary files.

I almost thought you made my hex editor plugin obsolete (which is fine by me :) ), but it looks like my plugin still provides some useful advantages, but this default hex encoding may prove useful for me to tap into. Thanks.
Last edited by facelessuser on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facelessuser

Postby bizoo on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:55 pm

facelessuser wrote:I almost thought you made my hex editor plugin obsolete (which is fine by me :) ), but it looks like my plugin still provides some useful advantages, but this default hex encoding may prove useful for me to tap into. Thanks.

Your plugin is still mandatory for people that need it. Very good works, thanks for it.

The Hexadecimal encoding is nice but is there a way to 'tweak' it ?
A view with both hexa number and ascii char. (like almost all hex viewer) is really useful, even if it is read only.
bizoo

Postby C0D312 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:47 pm

The best part about the hexidecimal encoding: when I accidentally click on a .png file, I don't have to wait as my Sublime slows to a crawl. Now it opens instantly, no problem.
C0D312

Postby CaptainCrowbar on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:56 pm

How do I disable the hex mode? I need to be able to see text inside binary files.
CaptainCrowbar

Postby C0D312 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33 pm

@captaincrowbar,

File > Reopen with encoding.
C0D312

Postby jps on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 pm

mok: I'll fix that for the next build

Marciano: If you're using Monokai, comments won't be italicized, but function arguments should be. I'll make a tweak for the next build, let me know if you aren't seeing italics then.

bizoo: I agree it'd be nice, but it's not something I'm planning on adding, because to do it properly is a fair amount of work, and the work could be better placed elsewhere.

COD312: That's actually the entire reason it exists, although it's not so important now with the glyph rasterisation improvements in 2147
jps
Site Admin

Postby bizoo on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:33 am

facelessuser wrote:You also tweaked minimap and made my day :).
Edit: Not as I originally thought :(. Opened a bigger file and still click goes to proportional position. I think I jumped the gun on this.

+1 for the click on the minimap go to the position where you clicked. Very useful when you use SublimeLinter and want to go to marked region.
Actually clicking on minimap is the same as clicking on the scrollbar, so if the behavior stay the same, why not removing scrollbar when minimap is enabled ?
bizoo

Postby bizoo on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:52 am

jps wrote:bizoo: I agree it'd be nice, but it's not something I'm planning on adding, because to do it properly is a fair amount of work, and the work could be better placed elsewhere.

Yep, agree.
Sad the HexViewer plugin couldn't achieve the speed of the Hexadecimal encoding when opening file.
But it's probably the syntax coloring that take much of the time.
bizoo

Postby liveq on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:02 am

And what about View -> minimap position -> right / left after sidebar / left before sidebar ? ;-)
liveq

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion