Sublime Forum

Thoughts on ST2... Some ideas, some questions

Ok, so I’ve been using Sublime Text 2 for about 2 months now as my main editor. Took me a while to get things transitioned over, but I think I’m in a good place now. Only a few niggling issues that I haven’t found answers for, and maybe that’s because there aren’t answers for them. :smile: But I figured some of you all may be able to point me in the right direction.

So my issues so far:

1. Sidebar
  • Is there anyway to make it not show file contents on selection (when navigating with the keyboard)? Or a way to exclude filetypes from the “peek” view?

• Are there any hooks into file managing when navigating with the keyboard? For instance, I’m arrowing through a folder structure and see that I want to rename a file. I have to leave the keyboard and right click to rename. I think TextMate 2 does this well: Enter to rename. CMD+Down Arrow to open. CMD+Delete to move to the trash.

1. Code Folding
  • I find the code folding “ok”. It works well enough that I can get by, but ideally I think this is another feature TextMate has nailed.

• I wish there was one toggle key for open/close when you’re even near a toggle point.

• I’d like the folded block to shrink all the way upon itself. Right now it leaves the closing tag on it’s own line, but it’d be great if it compressed it all to one line.

Example from TextMate:
https://img.skitch.com/20111215-t7mr7q4e5bpx1icfux7ga9chdj.jpg

1. Indention
  • Overall this is perfect, but I’d love to be able to control how much indention there is on a hanging line, and also make sure that tags are automatically wrapped (if they’d be split in between opening/closing). This is something I think Coda does perfectly.

Example from Coda:
https://img.skitch.com/20111215-87y8rrbs2mhfakrypxryw2rs5u.jpg

So, basically, nothing major… just some niggles here and there. Overall, I love Sublime Text 2. I think you, jps, have done a fantastic job on this editor. It has everything I could need with, sometimes, too much extensibility. Hah! :open_mouth:

And, if these are things that are widely known… I apologize. I tried searching, but just didn’t come up with much.

Thanks for any/all help, & thoughts!

0 Likes

re #1: look at binary_file_patterns in global settings

I too think the code folding implementation rather odd. I don’t like it that the code folds into a single char that you can delete like any regular char. 95% of the time I do not want to just delete a block of code like that. It also looks too much like an = sign. I would prefer some kind of wider graphic or a block of multiple characters, like …]. It should be selectable in some way and you need to select it before being able to delete it. Also, there should be some indication on the gutter.

0 Likes

That’s not possible, however, with the new hexidecimal encoding, this shouldn’t be a big problem because even large png files open quickly, so no harm done.

I really like that idea. I rarely use the keyboard navigation for the sidebar; I just don’t see a need since I have the GoTo anything. I use Tito’s sidebar enhancements to add some functionality to the sidebar, but that still involves mouse navigation, so I usually just keep the sidebar hidden.

This is possible if you use Selection > Expand to Scope. Just expand the selection until you have what you want to fold then press “Fold.” Alternatively, you can Select by tag, indentation, or brackets.

0 Likes

Thanks for the helpful replies! :smile:

0 Likes