Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2156

Dev Build 2156 is out now.

2156 features a new UI theme. One of the unique aspects of this theme is the way the tabs adapt to the current file’s color scheme. It’s been in the works for a long time, but I hope you’ll agree it’s worth the wait.

Also worth noting is the sublime.log_input(flag) function. By entering sublime.log_input(True) in the console, every key press will be logged to the console, helping you work out the name of the key to use in a key binding.

For API developers, there’s now a requirement that all event handlers complete in a short amount of time (16ms for frequent events such as on_modified and on_selection_modified, 200ms for other events). It’s been a long standing issue that a user can unknowingly install a plugin that makes the editor sluggish on large files, but the cause hasn’t been immediately evident to the user.

0 Likes

Wow, the new theme is very slick. It’s kinda funny because I’ve been using the Soda theme for so long that I forgot what the old theme looked like.

EDIT: By the way, autocomplete still doesn’t behave when typing in the bottom line of editor. When there’s no room below the line to place the autocomplete, ST2 tries to place the autocomplete window in the middle of the screen. Not really a big issue, though.

EDIT 2: After playing around with the new UI a little more, I found that the icons in the find panel seem really out of place. They’re very pixelated.

0 Likes

This is a very nice touch. A while ago I had in mind writing a plugin that would switch between soda light and dark based on the background color of the current color scheme, but you’ve taken it to another level of polish. Nice job!

0 Likes

Build 2156 seems to have corrupted the tabs, some sidebar icons and the scroll bar on my Mac which is using the Default theme. I did a fresh download just incase it was something to do with the update mechanism, but reproduced the same results.

0 Likes

I’ve just installed the Soda Theme and that works fine. So it appears to be an issue with the Default theme and the latest build on Mac.

0 Likes

Oooh. Well the new UI Theme is my default again.

Although I do seem to get a few occurrences of left-over pixels on the tab bar etc.

0 Likes

Very nice. Do you plan to also change the color of the scroll bar? It’s a bit “black” for the light color schemes :slight_smile:

Also, it’s now hard to read the filename in the side bar. See http://akrabat.com/caps/c787ebbc.png. (As a minor point, it’d be nice if the sidebar didn’t highlight two files simultaneously!)

Regards,

Rob…

0 Likes

I kinda prefer the old UI Theme. Any way to change it back using a configuration?

0 Likes

I can finally see the the tabs!

But the text shadow on inactive ones makes them somewhat illegible. How can I remove/tweak this shadow? Everything about the new tabs is perfect apart from said shadow.

My theme is Solarized BTW.

0 Likes

The download link for Win 32 bit points to build 2155, not 2156. :confused:

0 Likes

Upgraded to 2156 and now highlight_modified_tabs doesn’t seem to work. Is it just a color change or is the functionality no longer available?

0 Likes

Old theme was more beautiful…

0 Likes

I love the new theme. Very professional.

0 Likes

I like this new theme – though I would like to see the sidebar do the same thing as the top tabs (change colors with themes). That would be really cool!

0 Likes

Agreed. That’s my only complaint. The bright sidebar does not match dark themes and is distracting.

0 Likes

Would you be willing to consider making this configurable? I’m thinking of a situation such that I write a plugin or script for my own use that might take a while. It would be nice to have a setting or two that allow users to disable the feature entirely or crank the time up enough to get the tasks done. Maybe something set to 0 disables and anything above 0 is interpreted as milliseconds. In this way, the user would have to know to do this so should understand and take responsibility for longer running tasks.

0 Likes

sroebuck: if it’s not working for you, these steps will fix it: sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html

les: it sounds like you’re looking at a cached version of the page, reloading should help

phillip: highlight_modified_tabs isn’t currently supported. With regards to the API changes, you’ll see each warning only once per session, so it shouldn’t be too distracting, but you can disable them altogether via the hidden detect_slow_plugins global setting.

0 Likes

Any plugins running longer than the mandated times should most likely be done in a background thread.

0 Likes

Love the new UI very clean and professional

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Dev Build 2156 is out now.

2156 features a new UI theme. One of the unique aspects of this theme is the way the tabs adapt to the current file’s color scheme. It’s been in the works for a long time, but I hope you’ll agree it’s worth the wait.

Also worth noting is the sublime.log_input(flag) function. By entering sublime.log_input(True) in the console, every key press will be logged to the console, helping you work out the name of the key to use in a key binding.

For API developers, there’s now a requirement that all event handlers complete in a short amount of time (16ms for frequent events such as on_modified and on_selection_modified, 200ms for other events). It’s been a long standing issue that a user can unknowingly install a plugin that makes the editor sluggish on large files, but the cause hasn’t been immediately evident to the user.[/quote]

FWIW, in my case at least… this feature doesn’t work at all. I saw the pop-up once, in flagging my plugin when it theoretically wasn’t running.
By that I mean, there were no .go files loaded so I shouldn’t ever see a source.go scope and there not run. In fact, it didn’t come from my plugin doing anything, it was simply checking the scope and possibly due to the heavy disk usage at the time the ST2 api was slow to respond.

I confirmed it doesn’t detect my slow plugin because the slow operation was run via a sublime.set_timeout so if I sleep a couple seconds, the ui is a little unresponsive as expected but nothing is detected(expectedly).

In the mean-time I moved that stuff off into its own thread even though I was a little reluctant to do so still, because I don’t want to introduce any instability into the editor(which is why it was run from a sublime.set_timeout).

I don’t know if anything has changed recently but IIRC when I just started writing the plugin a few months ago, I was told that there was no way to denote that a plugin should run only in a certain scopes(like we can do with key bindings) so I had to check the scope myself, meaning it’s always running.

I think what would be cool is if we could have something akin to set_timeout(or set_timeout itself) where we could schedule some function to run and the editor would run it such that it doesn’t make the ui unresponsive, that way we don’t have to mess with threads and the nightmare that they come with.

I will file a couple reports of how ST2 freezes the ui in its own operations.

0 Likes