Sublime Forum

Full path to file in title bar?

Hi,

Is it possible to get Sublime Text to display the full path to the file in the title bar?

Regards,

Rob…

0 Likes

This is also a big feature I’m trying to find. I work on a lot of remote sftp files and need their remote path displayed. In many cases my remote files have the same names and I need a way to tell them apart.

I’ve been using Smultron, if I can’t find a way to get the remote file path I’m going to have to buy BBEdit instead. Smultron has fallen out of support and the new Smultron 4 version is beyond terrible. Sublime Text 2 looks to be much better, just has a few feature gaps.

0 Likes

When I open local files in projects, then the title bar shows something like the reverse of the path. Let’s say the relative path to the file is a/b/c.txt, then the title bar will show “c.txt - b - a”. I’m on OSX.

Perhaps this is an issue of the sftp plugin you’re using?

0 Likes

[quote=“hibbelig”]When I open local files in projects, then the title bar shows something like the reverse of the path. Let’s say the relative path to the file is a/b/c.txt, then the title bar will show “c.txt - b - a”. I’m on OSX.

Perhaps this is an issue of the sftp plugin you’re using?[/quote]

I’m also using a Mac.

I use Transmit (Panic.com) to open sftp files. When using Transmit with Smultron or BBEdit they both are able to display the remote files path. Currently in ST2 it only shows the path to the Temporary it downloads. I’m 100% sure this isn’t a transmit issue.

0 Likes

[quote=“hibbelig”]When I open local files in projects, then the title bar shows something like the reverse of the path. Let’s say the relative path to the file is a/b/c.txt, then the title bar will show “c.txt - b - a”. I’m on OSX.

Perhaps this is an issue of the sftp plugin you’re using?[/quote]

I do not see this for local files in projects or not in projects. Are you seeing this only when you have two files open with the same name?

Regards,

Rob…

0 Likes

Indeed, this is a major problem for me (I’m on OSX Lion).

Upon starting Sublime Text 2, I have no idea which window (NOT tab) is for which project. I end up closing them all and reopening… one day I’ll disable “remember_open_files”. Likewise, if I have five or six projects open, I have to spend a few seconds guessing which window is for which project.

A solution is to “save” the project, then the window title will use the project name. But this is a primitive solution.

Setting the window title to the full path would be acceptable, being able to customise the title would be awesome.

I’ll be honest, I can’t justify buying this product until this feature’s available.

0 Likes

I think this is a very important feature.

It’s one of my biggest complaints about TextMate.

0 Likes

Really need this feature, it’s very easy to be drown by lots of files with same filename but different directory.

0 Likes

I have the same issue. In our system we have 100+ web sites and they often have the same file names. Example main.css so when I work on multiple sites I can’t tell one CSS file from the the other.

0 Likes

On OS X, you can Control-click the filename in titlebar to see the path. A standard feature in all document-based applications.

0 Likes

How about using super+p (i.e., command+p on mac) to call the “goto anything” pallet? It lists all your open files with their paths.

0 Likes

Please upvote this feature request at sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/4 … dow-title/

0 Likes

This has been done.

Build 2195
Added show_full_path setting, to control if the full path is shown in the window title

It’s not in the stable release yet, only in dev and nightly builds.

0 Likes

I can’t believe i missed this in change-logs! So glad this feature has at last made it in.

0 Likes

It will be good to show some part of path on tab also:
for example I have two files in my project named Service.pm. One is situated at /usr/home/adm/work/lib/Service.pm other /usr/home/adm/work/t/Service.pm
The base path for project is (you can set this at project options): /usr/home/adm/work
So When open that two files I need to see at tabs: lib/Service.pm and t/Service.pm, instead of: Service.pm and Service.pm

for files that are not in project path you must show full absolute path.

0 Likes

Hmmm… that behaviour is implemented. But it is buggy:
*(http://i.piccy.info/i7/f03950c802445b25e8c19eaab73ec21a/4-44-311/19706968/bug.jpg)

Why for Object.pm it is not display path as like for Service.pm?
If you do not display if there is no other Object.pm, in this case you worng. Because of I must see which Object.pm is opened now: /lib/Object.pm or /t/Object.pm???

Allow user to force to show path always on tabs:

// Show the full path to files in the title bar. // On OS X, this value is overridden in the platform specific settings, so // you'll need to place this line in your user settings to override it. "show_full_path": true, //Force Sublime Text 2 to always show path on tabs "always_show_path_on_tabs": true *

0 Likes

treyconnell.com/post/44209482934 … ime-text-2

SHOW FILE PATH IN SUBLIME TEXT 2
I finally got annoyed enough the other day to figure out how to display the full path to a file when editing it in Sublime Text 2. Go to Preferences -> Settings - User Add this line:
“show_full_path”: true
Restart, open a file, and check out the title bar. Enjoy!

0 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks so much for figuring this out.

0 Likes