Sublime Forum

20080401 Beta

New beta is out - mostly a collection of fixes and requested tweaks.

If you add the setting ‘minimapMaxWidth’ to application.sublime-options, then you can change the value from the current default of 175 (Note there was no pixel maximum width in previous versions, the algorithm for calculating the width has been changed).

Nick’s plugin for line indentation detection is in there too, configurable via the file type option ‘detectIndentation’. It’s on by default. There’s a new View/Indentation sub-menu to go with it.

There are a couple of new methods in the API: sublime.messageBox and sublime.questionBox.

Finally, there’s now a system for packages to integrate into the menu: Create a *.package-menu file (Same syntax as the *.sublime-menu files) in the package directory, and it’ll appear as a sub-menu under Tools/Packages. It’ll likely move into a top level menu at some point, when it actually has some content.

0 Likes

Thanks,

80px width is optimal for me.

What i want to do quite often is to click onto the minimap to jump to the clicked location, what do you and the others think about that?

[size=75]Ah, can’t wait for the project explorer[/size]

0 Likes

Back in pre-history, the minimap used to always show you the entire file. You could click anywhere on the minimap and be taken directly to that point - it was nice.

However, the problem with showing the entire file is that for even reasonably sized files, everything is so small you can’t make out much of anything. This led to the current situation of the zoom cap and the minimap showing the portion of the buffer around the current view port.

This means that while the top of the orange viewport rectangle on the minimap reflects the current position wrt the buffer (i.e., when the rect is at the top of the screen, you’re looking at the top of the buffer, and when it’s at the bottom of the screen, you’re looking at the bottom of the buffer), the surrounding text doesn’t (i.e., when looking at the top of a sufficiently large file the text at the bottom of the minimap is not the text at the bottom of the buffer).

This means that if click-to-scroll was still implemented, I’d have to choose between one of two behaviours:

• The view is scrolled to the text in the minimap that you clicked on. This would result in the orange view port representation not moving to where you click, which would likely be unexpected.
  • The view port is scrolled to where you click. This would result in in the text you clicked on in the minimap not being the text you now see in the main view, which would also be unexpected.

The end result is you can only drag the minimap view rectangle around.

0 Likes

Thanks, Jon. The package downloader uses the new menu system, and the messagebox.

0 Likes

regarding the minimap and click-to-scroll, why not centering the orange viewport rectangle where ever the user clicks. so if a user clicks on the minimap on a section that isn’t inside the orange viewport rectangle, then the orange viewport rectangle centers around it, from there it is the same behavior as it is till now, if the user will drag his mouse the orange viewport rectangle will follow it.

0 Likes

As I mentioned above, that behavior is largely incompatible with the zoom cap on the minimap, it can’t work in a consistent way unless the entire file is displayed at once.

Given the number of requests I’ve had for it though, I’ll take a look at putting this functionality back in, and just put up with a bit of funny business on large files.

0 Likes

oh, i read it again and now i get you :smile: but then again, i think a little funny behavior is better and more intuitive. btw, few more features, especially supporting user customization, and it could be the long waited vi replacement (and it’s about time!)

0 Likes

(This was the most relevant post I found, but please put it elsewhere if it makes more sense.)
I am disappointed in the behavior of clicking on the minimap. I expect that if I click in the minimap, the editor will show me an area which has the text I clicked on (and the minimap will be updated to reflect that current position). As it is (in Build 2210), clicking on the minimap does some sort of hybrid scrolling which results in not getting anywhere near where I want to go (for any file long enough that the minimap itself does not entirely fit in the window).

I don’t know of the technical limitations present, but it seems that a good solution would do the following:

1. Wherever the user clicks in the minimap, make note of the text location (line number, etc).
  2. Perform the same action as Goto Line so that the editor shows that text and the minimap updates.

The current behavior makes click-to-scroll unusable, which is extremely unfortunate (it’s always my first instinct).

EDIT: I’m not alone:

0 Likes