Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 2 : Win 7 Install : Registry Key Changed

My anti-malware software logged the fact that the installation of Sublime Text 2 (64-bit, Beta, build 2165) modified this registry key (a value, I presume):

HKUS\S-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections

What is the purpose of this modification?

0 Likes

To the best of my knowledge the installer does not modify that registry key, nor any similar ones. Verify that you downloaded the installer from this website and that its md5sum is:

3735e38ccecdca43177219a21be75e9f

Alternatively, consider using the portable version that doesn’t require installation, and thus doesn’t modify any registry keys.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply…

Actually, my initial posting was not entirely accurate.

I did, in fact, download the portable version - contained in a zip file - from sublimetext.com.

To modify (and correct) my original statement: it was sublime_text.exe that modified the registry key I mentioned (note that all the ‘X’ characters are simply stand-in characters that I added to overwrite a portion of the original key name, in case any privacy issue should be involved).

0 Likes

Sublime Text 2 makes use of wininet.dll to check for updates, which would presumably access a registry key along those lines.

0 Likes

Ok, thanks.

0 Likes