Sublime Forum

REQUEST: Move all Default Packages into Source Control

I love Sublime, but one thing that makes me wonder if I’m doing the right thing loving it so badly is the fact that there’s no way to actually “know” what’s been updated on the default packages.

There’s also no simple way to make a patch fix to any of the default packages, because there’s no easy way to know what repository you should be looking for.

I would like to request, that** we move all the packages ( including the Default Sublime Theme ) into a Source Control**, like GitHub. This way we can all know what’s been updated and we can provide fixes and patches that would benefit the whole community.

Sublime Text may not be open source on itself, but the packages that are behind it come mostly from TextMate. So I reckon that we should be forking them and integrating them so we can contribute back and forth.

Please note that this request is for Jon. This needs to be supported by Sublime officially.

Jon, please, take this into consideration. Transparency is always good.

1 Like

Dev Build 2182

This approach has worked well for Vintage, so I agree the rest should follow suit. But maybe core stuff like Default should be excluded. I see how it’d be helpful, but it might be harder to find a suitable license?

0 Likes

It would make sense for tmLanguages which are already available through github. That way we always have the most up to date versions.

0 Likes

I agree. Some of the Defaults can be excluded; however, one part of Default set that we need on GitHub is the Default Theme. This would proof to be really good for improving overall Sublime Text Appearance: both for default packaging and for forks like Soda, for instance take a look at this theme I worked based on the default theme:

Now I can’t keep it up with the original easily because there’s no repo of changes.

It includes lots of fixes to the original layout, but there’s no easy way for me to push it somewhere for other people to review.

I agree. We need to keep up with the updates: AND CONTRIBUTE BACK TO THE TEXTMATE COMMUNITY.

It’s plain awful just pulling stuff out of them without pushing back anything of value.

[quote=“atomi”]I agree with this as well.
It’s the main reason I developed the ColdFusion package at SublimeText org on GitHub instead of my own GitHub account.

github.com/SublimeText/ColdFusion

I’m not sure if this package would have evolved to the point it’s at today If it was bundled with Sublime Text.[/quote]

Good example.

Please share this to anyone who might be interested. This is a matter that should be of interest to us all.

0 Likes

Oh you :frowning:

I want that colour scheme and theme!!! :wink:

0 Likes

Ping for discussion.

This is something we need to get going ASAP.

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]Oh you :frowning:

I want that colour scheme and theme!!! :wink:[/quote]

github.com/kuroir/Sublime-Magnificent-Theme

0 Likes

[quote]We need to keep up with the updates: AND CONTRIBUTE BACK TO THE TEXTMATE COMMUNITY.

It’s plain awful just pulling stuff out of them without pushing back anything of value.[/quote]

Agreed, please provided a method for us to contribute and push back to the TextMate community (not that I’ve ever used it, it’s just manners :smile: ).

0 Likes

[quote=“defiant”]

[quote]We need to keep up with the updates: AND CONTRIBUTE BACK TO THE TEXTMATE COMMUNITY.

It’s plain awful just pulling stuff out of them without pushing back anything of value.[/quote]

Agreed, please provided a method for us to contribute and push back to the TextMate community (not that I’ve ever used it, it’s just manners :smile: ).[/quote]

Exactly. We need to fork the original packages and contribute as much as possible back to TextMate. We’re basically using TextMate structure. So what’s the point of diverging more and not contributing back to our parent? Sublime and it’s communty shouldn’t be ungrateful.

0 Likes

[quote=“kuroir”]

I agree. We need to keep up with the updates: AND CONTRIBUTE BACK TO THE TEXTMATE COMMUNITY.[/quote]

Indeed. Maybe we should bear in mind that the language grammars and scopes have been changed a lot for TextMate 2 which actually is in beta now after I don’t know how many years as vaporware. But it looks like it will actually be released at some point, so the community will move towards supporting that version.

0 Likes

Yeah. I was a tester on the closed beta, and I reckon that we need to make Sublime keep up with the changes. I think both TextMate and Sublime can benefit of having some kind of agreement for these kind of changes. In the end, contributing back to the source benefits TextMate.

Changes wise, there were some updates to the language grammar and scopes with the introduction of TextMate 2. But nothing that would break backward compatibility. However, we need to make sure Sublime doesn’t explode.

0 Likes

As an update: I’m already having a talk with some influential developers of TextMate and they do agree that this would be nice to have. I’m going to have a chat with Allan (creator of TextMate) to see what are his thoughts on this.

As of Jon… I won’t mail him. I’m expecting him to notice this thread at some point.

Cheers.

0 Likes

Bumping this to the top. Hoping I get more feedback from the community around this.

0 Likes