Dev Build 2183

Dev Build 2183

Postby jps on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 am

Dev Build 2183 is out now, fixing a couple of regressions
jps
Site Admin

Re: Dev Build 2183

Postby C0D312 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:33 am

Jon, have you ever looked back at all your posts over the years? It's really interesting. BTW, you use a lot less exclamation points and smilie faces now-a-days. You used to have much more personality... Not being critical, just an observation.
C0D312

Postby jps on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:35 am

That was in the good old days, when I didn't get stressed at a dev build with issues. TBH, there are too many people using dev builds, and too many of them aren't even aware of the significance of using a dev build. I suspect dev builds will have to be discontinued, and replaced with private nightly builds instead.
jps
Site Admin

Postby facelessuser on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:31 am

jps wrote:That was in the good old days, when I didn't get stressed at a dev build with issues. TBH, there are too many people using dev builds, and too many of them aren't even aware of the significance of using a dev build. I suspect dev builds will have to be discontinued, and replaced with private nightly builds instead.

I would have to agree, it seems people don't really understand what it means to use a nightly. I have seen posts talking about ST2 being buggy when they are using the dev branch (nightly builds)...I mean seriously, it is really tough to pump out bug free code so quick and so often. I am always amazed at how usable the nightly builds are, and how rare serious bugs show up.

I am certain you would sleep better at night if you knew thousands of people weren't going to have their productivity affected by a bad dev build. Anyways, I think you are doing quite a job. It is nice to see an affordable, cross platform editor that is actually fun to use. Thanks for all of the hard work.
facelessuser

Postby C0D312 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:05 am

TBH, there are too many people using dev builds, and too many of them aren't even aware of the significance of using a dev build.

People are feature-crazed. When they see that they can get something bigger and better, they will at all costs. I can't really complain as I, too, began using the dev builds before I knew half of the features existed... :?

On that same note, people should be required to have a license if they want to use the dev version. Or have a test. If people want a dev version, make them write at least one page of documentation for you :). That way everyone wins.

private nightly builds

Oooh, I hope I can get an invite. :)

didn't get stressed at a dev build with issues

I suspect a lot of the stress comes from redundancy... when multiple people have the same issue, they all seem to post on the forum and elsewhere about it. Guillermooo has done an awesome job with docs some far. For the past week or so he's been pushing updates left and right. We (mostly Guillermooo ;) ) are in the process of setting up templates for the doc site and the new "Knowledge Base" which will allow Sublime users to easily contribute and newcomers to overcome the initial ST learning curve (so people don't keep hoarding the forum, filling it will silly questions).

That was in the good old days

Ahhh... the good old days. Still wouldn't kill you to smile once in a while. Lighten up. But I'm young, so what do I know?
C0D312

Postby tito on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 am

just some random ideas..

I think the situation can be improved if there were some people moderating the forums. ( volunteers ) You know, a more open community that drives by itself.

Volunteers, stick threads, remove spam, move, organize, close threads and point people to the right locations ( educating users ).
Also, I think we can be a little more organized if we have more subforums. Example "sublime builds", "sublime bugs"," sublime features"," sublime support", "packages development", "theme development", "packages releases", "sublime API", "sublime docs"

In a similar way a real bug tracker will help a lot. Moderated by volunteers too, allowing to organize, close, request information, confirming, mark as dup, some netiquette allowing people to contribute in an organized way instead of having the stupid +1 post or a useless comment as in forum threads.

Also, this will allow to see status of bug/features request. For example "confirmed" target release "sublime 4", this is important because people have an answer and they will not ask again, they may vote the bug/feature and or contribute with some idea. IF they do't have nothing productive to say the better shutup.

I think This will allow to remove some pressure... and keep you focused on things you consider are important. If you are not happy, creating and improving this very nice piece of software... we as a community are doing it very wrong.

I like the ideas of above post such pushing devs release to people that already paid for the software.
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito

Postby atomi on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:25 am

@COD312 Hey man! You're a lot smarter than you lead others to believe, but you do bring up some good points.
The problem with a pay wall for access to development releases could be that it may have an affect on plugin development. I don't have evidence to this point but it may be worth considering when making your decision.

@tito I am familiar with trac and jira (just putting that out there) hehe. And a bug tracker would be pretty great for us users. But, it may complicate development for jps - something else to consider too.

Make sure to take care of yourself jps. Get some blood work done (vitamin levels, CBC, CMP) and make sure you're healthy. Seriously. If something were to happen to you, where would that leave Sublime Text?
atomi

Postby kabadesu on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:35 am

I paid for a license to support the development of this cross-platform editor. It's a nice little bonus that I can watch it's progress with dev builds if I chose to.

I'm really grateful for it, and don't want to be a dumb-ass about bugs and features, it's just that there's no way to tell what priority a bug or feature has using these forums. If I search for a feature I want, and add a +1 post to an existing thread, it's because I want show interest in that feature... If you're using a forum for keeping track of feature requests then it makes sense that a feature/bug with the most posts would be a bigger priority, right?

Oh, and I love the latest build. Mmmm :oops:
kabadesu

Postby MSch on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:08 am

kabadesu wrote:I paid for a license to support the development of this cross-platform editor. It's a nice little bonus that I can watch it's progress with dev builds if I chose to.

I'm really grateful for it, and don't want to be a dumb-ass about bugs and features, it's just that there's no way to tell what priority a bug or feature has using these forums. If I search for a feature I want, and add a +1 post to an existing thread, it's because I want show interest in that feature... If you're using a forum for keeping track of feature requests then it makes sense that a feature/bug with the most posts would be a bigger priority, right?

Just want to +1 this. I love all the dev builds and I'm completely capable of going back to stable or a previous dev build if there's a bug. Fixing the triple-click bug so fast was awesome, but really not necessary if it stressed you out, the workaround worked fine.

Cheers,
Martin
MSch

Postby Tassels on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 am

kabadesu wrote:I paid for a license to support the development of this cross-platform editor. It's a nice little bonus that I can watch it's progress with dev builds if I chose to.

There's a page used for feature requests at http://sublimetext.userecho.com/. As for bugs, I think the forums work fine.

I don't want to see the dev builds go to private nightlies because I have a lot of fun testing them out and seeing what's new. It's the same reason why I run experimental ICS builds on my Android phone and keep Chrome Canary (for testing) as well as Chrome Dev (as my primary channel).

I don't know. I might be weird. But yeah, obviously the dev builds shouldn't be used in something like a package repository as the primary sublime-text package... Only as a separate channel for those who like to play with new things like I do.

Thanks for draggable text. <3
Tassels

Next

Return to General Discussion