Sublime Forum

Using External Modules/Libraries In The Interpreter

Hi, I’m wondering if it is at all possible to use external Python libraries in the interpreter. For example, I’m trying to essentially turn Sublime Text into a PostgreSQL client, where I can run queries and update functions using the Python interpreter. I want to be able to use the py-postgresql driver, but I’m not sure where to begin. Does anyone have an advice on whether or not this is possible?
Thanks.

0 Likes

I’d love to hear a straight forward answer to this question. I’m using the linux release which comes packaged with its own version of the python interpreter. I can install/import into my existing python environment but no luck so far in doing this with Sublimes own version.

Please if anybody knows the answer to this!!

JLove

0 Likes

same question here… Thanks!

0 Likes

Of course you can use external Python library in ST2, lot of plugin already do that.

However you cannot use any kind of package management installation (easy_install) or setup.py to do that (or I don’t know how).
You must copy required files in a path accessible from ST2 internal Python interpreter, a sub folder in your own package folder is fine.

Probably not all Python module could work with ST2, especially if it’s not a pure Python module. And some part of the standard Python library is missing.

Now it’s probably not a good idea to put everything in your plugin.
Why not calling an external Python script when you have to do something heavy or requiring external dependency ?

0 Likes