Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Spam attack !!!

Re: Spam attack !!!

Postby jbrooksuk on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 pm

guillermooo wrote:If I ever got a penny for every spammer I've banned here... ;)

I'm missing a "Ban by IP and Kill Slowly and Painfully" option in the mod control panel, though.

You're a mod? Who knew :)
jbrooksuk

Postby jbrooksuk on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 pm

There was another spam attack by wallion or whatever his name was. Posts everything, but they didn't exist, nor did the user. Spooky 8-)
jbrooksuk

Postby guillermooo on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 pm

quodlibet wrote:@guillermooo and whoever else moderates the forum:

Is reporting spam using the forum's reporting tool useful to you? Or does it just add to your overhead? (The spam that's been popping up is pretty easy to spot.)

Alex

It's especially helpful when there's many topics by the same author. I glance over a couple of topics and if the author's the same one and all have been flagged I just ban the user. Generally speaking it's useful and I don't see any downside to reporting suspicious posts.
guillermooo

Postby guillermooo on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:04 pm

jbrooksuk wrote:You're a mod? Who knew :)

One day I just noticed there were more icons than usual :-O

I feel more like an anti-spam device, though. :)
guillermooo

Postby wbond on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 pm

quodlibet wrote:@guillermooo and whoever else moderates the forum:

Is reporting spam using the forum's reporting tool useful to you? Or does it just add to your overhead? (The spam that's been popping up is pretty easy to spot.)

Alex

I find it helpful when I log in because it is instantly apparent (reported posts have a red background). Most of the spam patterns are pretty easy to detect, like posts in 10 different topics in a row by the same author. It just takes some time to go through it when they create a lot.
wbond

Postby bizoo on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 am

jps wrote:I've changed the check field now so the required keyword is displayed via JavaScript, and only after the username is entered. Hopefully this will reduce any automated spam.

Look like it's not enough viewtopic.php?f=2&p=26590#p26590
bizoo

Postby quodlibet on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:32 am

guillermooo wrote:It's especially helpful when there's many topics by the same author.

wbond wrote:I find it helpful when I log in because it is instantly apparent (reported posts have a red background).

Thanks for the insight. (I've never moderated a forum and had no understanding of the logistics behind it.) I'll keep reporting evil spammy users.
quodlibet

Postby abathologist on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 am

User bertatwq looks like a spambot who sticks to comments. Thanks for your vigilance!
abathologist

Postby jbrooksuk on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 am

Spam just gets smarter.

Some of them I have reported have duplicated a comment from a user who previously posted in that same topic.
jbrooksuk

Previous

Return to General Discussion