Sublime Forum

Vim motion controls

Hi,

I have recently started learning vim; I have mostly been using macvim as a learning tool, but since sublime text is my primary editing platform I wanted to make sure to try vi mode on sublime text.
Now, this might be because my understanding of vi is flawed, but there is a bunch of commands which produce the desired output on macvim which don’t seem to work in the vi mode of sublime text, mostly when i use something of the form: command number motion

For instance, in macvim i can do the following
< press a>
“Hello”
< press Esc>
10 .

And i obtain: HelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHello

But if i do this in sublime text, i only get a second copy.

Also, say I want to delete the next ten lines, in macvim i can do d10$
but that command only erases the current line in sublime text.

It’s as if the number was ignored, though it does work nicely if i just travel through the document (for instance by typing 4$ to skip four lines).

Am I missing something?

0 Likes

Sorry for bumping (hopefully this is not frowned upon) - i was just very curious if anyone understands what my problem was…?

Would love any help.

Thanks!

0 Likes

After a quick look, it seems Vintage does not support these commands yet.

0 Likes

Thanks very much for the answer - sorry I had not noticed it.

Correct me if I am wrong - i am still a beginner at vim (but that’s how i currently use it) - is it really useful to have vim mode without those motion bindings? Aren’t the motion commands a major reason why vi is used?

I am not trolling here - just curious, and hoping to improve my editing habits.

0 Likes

[quote=“uzuki”]Thanks very much for the answer - sorry I had not noticed it.

Correct me if I am wrong - i am still a beginner at vim (but that’s how i currently use it) - is it really useful to have vim mode without those motion bindings? Aren’t the motion commands a major reason why vi is used?

I am not trolling here - just curious, and hoping to improve my editing habits.[/quote]

Vintage is open-source and available on github. So if you would like, you can contribute to help it improve.

0 Likes