Sublime Forum

Soft undo

Undo/redo in Sublime Text normally only steps through actions that modify the buffer, skipping over those that simply modify the selection. Changes to the selection are still part of the undo history, and can be stepped through using Ctrl+U/Ctrl+Shift+U (softUndo/softRedo commands). These key bindings aren’t displayed in the menu, and I’m wondering if anyone has discovered them on their own.

I rarely use them myself, but did today, so it got me wondering if anyone else does :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do use them from time to time but they don’t seem to always work correctly (or maybe I don’t understand it)
They don’t always record my mouse selections, but they do record each of my pageup/pagedown key presses, which is annoying.

I think it would be more useful to have a command to move the cursor back to the last modification area (and to have the ability to go forward/backward to the last/next modification area)

1 Like

Amen to that :smile:

1 Like

Related to: "Redo" does not scroll to change / Bad Scroll Jump on "Redo"

It is maddening to not be able to see what undo/redo are doing b/c page position / scroll is remembered, but apparently has since been updated. I think it’s caused by undoing, scrolling (and clicking I think), then redo’ing. Now when you undo, it takes you to your scroll position, not the modify position and it is nearly impossible to figure out where the change is occurring…

1 Like

"Redo" does not scroll to change / Bad Scroll Jump on "Redo"

Did not know it exist but I needed it more than once :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah I use them every now and then. Usually after editing with multi-selections.

1 Like

Yes, they are super handy when you hit Cmd-D one time too many.

1 Like