Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Nightly Build 2192

Re: Nightly Build 2192

Postby jps on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:28 am

castles: Dealing with multiple OS's isn't too bad. Where reasonable, the differences are abstracted (e.g., window creation, file system change detection), and for cases where one OS simply has different requirements (e.g., on OS X the application has to specify if it wants a light i-beam mouse cursor vs a dark one, while other Windows and Linux only have a single one) then the API is made wide enough to handle it, with dummy implementations on the platforms that don't care.

I mostly code on Linux, as compile times are by far the fastest there, partially because of better hardware, and partially because of the gold linker. Also, I'm happiest with the linux dev tool chain (objdump, valgrind, etc), although MSVC does have by far and away the best debugger. I'll generally only frequently switch between computers when working on features with platform specific hooks, like the recent drag and drop integration.

I use VMs for building the linux releases, but otherwise have 3 PCs on my desk.
jps
Site Admin

Postby iamntz on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 am

@jps: even i'm not a „desktop” programmer (i'm doing just web stuff), reading how things are built is fascinating for me. Maybe you will have some free time and post a blog entry with all kind of neat details (workflow, platform specific quirks, biggest challenges so far and so on). I guess you will make a lot of people happy :mrgreen:
iamntz

Postby sublimator on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:34 am

jps wrote:castles: Dealing with multiple OS's isn't too bad.

I must have had a run of bad luck. I was writing a program recently that involved threading which worked fine on osx, windows but was locking on linux. Then I had the good luck of finding out that the system tray had been removed from ubuntu unity, and the Qt method isSystemTrayAvailable called some X11 routine which caused segfaults. 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

iamntz wrote:Maybe you will have some free time and post a blog entry with all kind of neat details (workflow, platform specific quirks, biggest challenges so far and so on)

Yeah, that would be great.

Besides, it would make a nice holiday for you! haha
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby nick. on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm

jps wrote:Nick: The end of your comment implies it's working for you now. Is this the case? If not, can you provide some details:
* Your OS, plus the directory you're trying to access: is it local or remote? If remote, what OS is it being hosted on? What file system is it using?
* Does the directory tree include symlinks?

PM sent. In the past I had solved the issue with a restart, but that doesn't seem to be the case any longer.
nick.

Previous

Return to General Discussion