Sublime Forum

Simple Questions, Simple Answers

BINGO!

0 Likes

I have a file with about 90k characters and sublime really slows down with loading the file as well as copying and pasting large chunks of code. Just kinda of curious what part of the program slows it down so much and if that is something that could be fixed in the future?

0 Likes

you can try two options that was raised in the past: first is to temporarily turn off syntax highlighting (change file syntax to ‘plain text’), the other option is to turn off minimap (alt+m). this is not to underestimate this issue, which i think deserves better attention and a more robust solution from sublime side.

0 Likes

Changing the syntax highlighting to plain text should be the answer.

The issue here is that Sublime Text always keeps the syntax highlighting information about the buffer fully up to date, which results in a bunch of wasted work doing calculations for text that won’t be displayed. It’s on the todo list to change this to a lazy evaluation model.

0 Likes

What encoding does Sublime save a new file as? Does it just use the fallback encoding setting?

Also is there anyway to tell what an opened file’s encoding is?

0 Likes

If you hover over the tab for the file in question, the status bar should show the full path and encoding. In another thread I did wonder whether encoding might be made visible in the status bar all the time, but that’s just personal preference.

0 Likes

Ah thanks much.

Yeah I think it would fit perfectly between the line ending box and the syntax box at the bottom right. Don’t really see how that could bother anyone :s Possibly when you click on it, it could be a shortcut to the save with encoding menu as well.

0 Likes

Hello!

How do I duplicate selection / line? Is there a shortcut? I could not find it in Edit menu.

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes

ekolguy, look at Power User Package.

0 Likes

Thanks Ilya, just what I needed :smile:

0 Likes

Is there anyway to fix the PHP syntax highlighting to look for embedded SQL over multiple lines?

For example:

mysql_query(' SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `field` = 5 AND `field2` = 10 ');

won’t get highlighted because of the new line between the comma and SELECT. How it’s set up in the language file currently it should match over multiple lines but it doesn’t because it doesn’t match over multiple lines and you can’t force the regex into /m.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Hate to double post but doubt anyone would notice if I edited my previous post :s If anyone reads this that can delete posts feel free to delete my previous post. There is pretty much no solution to the question I asked and I just ended up hardcoding a solution for my project.

I tried googling around but couldn’t really find any info. Anyone know anything about the UUID field in themes? It would seem Sublime doesn’t use it but if I wanted to share a theme and have it work in Textmate what should I do with this field? Does Textmate just automatically generate it and I should just delete it? Or do I need to generate one and include it? If so how would I go about doing that?

Lastly, if I made a theme that works in Sublime is there anything technical that would make it incompatible with Textmate?

0 Likes

Sublime Text doesn’t use the UUID, instead relying on the path to identify the file. To make the file compatible with TextMate, you should ensure that the GUID is unique - if you google for guidgen, you should find a tool that will generate them for you. As far as I’m aware, that should be all that’s required to make it work with TextMate, but I recommend you test it to be sure.

0 Likes

I already had cygwin installed so I just grabbed e2fsprogs and ran uuidgen. It’s a pretty safe bet that it’s going to be unique right? There isn’t somewhere to test if some Textmate package is already using it or something is there?

0 Likes

Yes pretty safe bet It will be unique :smile:

0 Likes

How come plugins won’t load if you put them in a folder in the Packages > User directory?

0 Likes

The simple question (or perhaps stupid question) I have is unfortunately only tangentially related to the Sublime project. The minimap is awesome, and basically I’m wondering if anyone knows of any web browsers that have a feature or plugin comparable to minimap? I could have sworn I’ve seen some in the past, but now that I’ve realized how awesome the feature is and I’m actually looking for it I can’t find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes

There’s User File Preferences and User Key Bindings. Is there a reason there’s no User Preferences equivalent of General Preferences? Are changes I do to this file preserved when upgrading?

0 Likes

@cevgar I’ve never seen or heard of anything like that. If you happen to find it, please share it. I’d be curious to check it out.

@Esseb I just think it was never added when the general preferences were. Changes aren’t preserved in there afaik. I’ve had them get overwritten in the past though it hasn’t happened in the past few updates. I think someone requested it in the suggestions forums, not sure if it was added to the todo list or not though.

Does anyone know how to change the colors of text in quick panels? I want to make the directories a lighter color in the quick project open panel. I looked around a bit in Default.sublime-theme but couldn’t find anything.

0 Likes

Hi,

Did you get any info about that?
I’d like to do that as well (Lightening up [parts of] the project view).

Cheers

0 Likes