Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Setting to not open new window at startup

Setting to not open new window at startup

Postby _ado on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Does anyone know what the setting is to turn off the option to open a new window at startup? I looked in Preferences -> Settings - Default, but not seeing it.
_ado

Re: Setting to not open new window at startup

Postby _ado on Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 pm

So I assume this feature doesn't exist?
_ado

Postby C0D312 on Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Sorry that no one has replied. This feature does not exist. Could I ask why you want something like this?
C0D312

Postby _ado on Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am

Why I want it? Because I don't want to open a new document when I start up Sublime. I usually open an existing file or a project folder instead.
_ado

Postby iamntz on Fri May 04, 2012 9:37 am

Probably you should add another post, just in case...

You can turn „remember last document” on and you won't see a new document anymore...
iamntz

Postby ToddFiske on Fri May 04, 2012 6:26 pm

@_ado: Sublime will open a new window when started if -n or --new-window is included on the command line. Maybe you have that set somewhere. Look at the icon or shortcut you use to start Sublime and see if any parameters are specified.

As iamntz mentioned, this may also be affected by the settings remember_open_files, hot_exit, and open_files_in_new_window if on OSX.
ToddFiske

Postby _ado on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 am

"hot_exit": false,
"remember_open_files": true,

will still have app create new window on launch if it was closed with no windows open.
_ado

Postby SeanWcom on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 pm

My settings:

"hot_exit": true,
"remember_open_files": true,

Those are just the defaults - I haven't changed those. Here's the testing I've done in Windows:

1. Close Sublime with no documents open, open sublime, no new file created.
2. Close Sublime with new file open (not saved to disk), open sublime, same new file exists, but no other tabs
3. Close Sublime with file open (real file on disk), open sublime, same file opens but no other tabs
4. Close Sublime with no documents open, open text file with Sublime using context menu, Sublime opens that file, no other tabs

Basically - no combination of opening and closing files gives me any unwanted tabs.

HOWEVER... there is a default blank slate that Sublime opens with. The text editor is there and available, but no tabs are created. If you start typing, then a tab is created. To me this is awesome. I don't have to specifically create a new file. It's ready for me to type - or not type. If I open a file, there's no New document tab created or anything. Is that what you're seeing?
Multiple selections... one of my favorite ST2 features. View some noob-friendly screen casts here.
SeanWcom

Postby nicolas on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:54 pm

I need this preference too, as BBEdit !

When I click on the Sublime Text, or at startup, it shouldn't open new blank window with the appropriate preference (for example "open_blank_window")

Thanks !
Nicolas
nicolas

Postby nicolas on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:42 pm

The new setting "create_window_at_startup" seems to work well !

Now, it would be nice to create a new setting that permits to not open blank window when we click on the software's icon in the dock :)

Thanks !
nicolas

Next

Return to General Discussion