Sublime Forum

For jps: keyboard layout

hi all,
often I’ve problems with keybindings because I think that these was setup for an eng keyboard layout…
now, I’m italian and keybindings like the default to open the console are impossible for me…
for ex. if i’ve a keybind like
ctrl+alt+]

i don’t have the ] key…to type this character i’ve to press
alt gr+ +
or
ctrl+alt+ +

do u have some advice or tricks to override this behaviour?
ty

0 Likes

This is something that has been bothering me in all programming and design software. The , { and similar keys are easily accessible on US layouts, but pretty much impossible for many others (in my case Slovenian).

A year ago I made the leap, and learned the US Colemak (http://www.colemak.com/) layout. Never regretted the change. Now I have the brackets easily accessible, and my finger move less than in the QWERTZ layout.

On the long run, I think its unlikely that all these software (ST, Eclipse…) and design packages (like the Adobe Creative Suite) will make it easier for non-ENG keyboards. They don’t care much about it, because it works for them. I get that. You will be much better off learning their layout (It takes about a month or two).

0 Likes

You can rebind the keys to something that your keyboard layout is happy with. Use sublime.log_input(True) in the console to find out the names of keys as you press them.

0 Likes

@aloje

word to the colemak’

0 Likes

I too am enjoying Colemak; made the switch thanks to this forum actually. :smile:

0 Likes

mhh ty all, i will try this things…I’ll let u know XD

0 Likes