Sublime Forum

Good performance on big files

I just had occasion to compare two relatively big files (for me anyway) side by side in ST2 and was very pleased with the performance. These files were database dumps and were 64Mb (and over 1.1 million lines) each. Once the files loaded (which took a bit of time), navigation in them was just as snappy as if they were only a couple hundred Kb.

Great work, Jon!

0 Likes

UPDATE:

But searching is, unsurprisingly, pretty jittery.

0 Likes

Multiple-selection is also a quite slow on large files. Prettry hard to select similar string with Ctrl+D

0 Likes

i also commend the great functionality of ST2 on large files although i am also having some issues with searching. I do hope this issue will be updated and resolved as well so that we can fully enjoy the features of ST2 and it will be more convenient to use as well. hopefully we will be able to see some improvements on this pretty soon! so far, kudos! and keep up the good work! :smile:

0 Likes

ST2 was just opening a 4MB file for about a minute. Not cool :frowning:

0 Likes

I often have to do some serach & replace on file where there is more than 10k the word i want to replace, and this is case it is very slow, more than 10x time slower than doing it under notepad… I really hope this can be solved because it’s really a shame to have to open another editor for simple task like that.

0 Likes

What kind of file was it?

Some highlighting bundles are not optimized, and can be quite slow with big files. You can try renaming your file with a not-handled extention to find out if this is your case or not.

[For example, trying to highlight the 417 reserved Cobol words with a “naïve” regular expression (word1|word2|…) takes 65 seconds here on a 2MB Cobol file, but less than 2 seconds with a less naïve regular expression.]

Martin

0 Likes

[size=150]+1[/size] for a large file navigation/syntax/search optimization. The editor becomes utterly unresponsive on large logs which makes it almost useless for such cases. Hopefully this will be improved sooner then later.

D

0 Likes

[quote=“mlf”]

What kind of file was it?[/quote]

It was a .sql file. Indeed, renaming it to .txt fixed the problem but kind of lost the syntax highlighting coolness at the same time.

0 Likes