Sublime Forum

Forum Spam

Yesterday, the forum got bombarded by spam, to the point where I had to restore the database from a backup - apologies for any legitimate posts that were lost due to this.

I’m currently working on a proper solution, but in the meantime I’ve updated the registration system, so you’ll need to enter a secret keyword to create an account. Please email support@sublimetext.com to get the current keyword.

1 Like

If you’re looking at getting more moderators spread across timezones etc, I think that’d help, although this solution should work well - till it’s brute forced?

0 Likes

Why dont you upgrade to another forum-software like vBulletin or woltlab burning board?
I think you have enough trouble with SublimeText, you should not invest so much time in stupid spammers…

0 Likes

jbrooksuk: the main issue is that sometimes when deleting the spammers accounts, phpbb can go haywire and screw up a bunch of data, rendering all the posts out of order.

0 Likes

you should not invest so much time in stupid spammers

@jps

If they only knew :smile:

0 Likes

@jps: continuing topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6031&start=0 maybe just two different req fields to profil registration form + add recaptcha addon.

0 Likes

Mylith: Custom profile fields are ineffective these days, unfortunately

0 Likes

Maybe consider recaptcha installation.

0 Likes

[quote=“PhilippSchaffrath”]Why dont you upgrade to another forum-software like vBulletin or woltlab burning board?
I think you have enough trouble with SublimeText, you should not invest so much time in stupid spammers…[/quote]

Hello Philipp,

I use vBulletin to run my forum, and vBulletin is amongst of the most targeted in terms of spam. I had to extensions and activate security features of all sorts to limit to amount of work I have to perform each day. Now I only have to ban one user or two each, day but that’s after months of trial an error …

So my $0.02 point is: it is not because the forum software has a price that it will better fight spam. I find vBulletin very good for administration and installation, and that is what I pay for.

Kind Regards,
Cam

0 Likes

I can’t understand what mean by keyword, but after sending mail. i was amused by your idea.

we may use re captcha instead of this process. but by this process we may verify the email also. isn’t it? xD

Kind Regards

0 Likes

This thread is 3 years old, ignore it.

0 Likes

Because you never saw any forum spam in the last 3 years, no? :mrgreen:

0 Likes

¿?

This thread was to announce that to create an account you need to sent an email, that was 3 years ago, so probably no longers apply.

0 Likes