Sublime Forum

ST 2 seemingly not optimized for Large log files (50MB+)

First off let me say that for editing source code, this editor rocks! However, as a sys admin there are many times when I need to analyse IHS log files and I often offload these to my local laptop.

I have an Intel SSD with a quad core i7 processor and 6GBs of RAM. Observations:

1. It is really slow in loading large text files - 100 MBs takes about 30 secs. Ultraedit/BBEDIT does it in about 2 or less.
  2. Once the file is loaded, commands like Find, replace are highly unresponsive.

Is this an area that (hopefully) will be addressed in the near future?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Maybe try changing in Default Setting: “word_wrap”: “auto” (I think it’s set to auto by default) to true.

I know in TextMate in larger files if word wrap was off it’d cripple the performance but I rarely open files over a few mb.

Before opening one of those files set word_wrap to true, it “may” improve performance.

Then again BBEdit has always been BOSS at opening very large files.

0 Likes

I’m trying to use Sublime to view large Verilog .log files, and the performance is quite slow.

Has there been any work done in this area since 2012?

I’d like to be able to use Sublime with both source files and these large .log files on the same screen, so it would be great if the large files didn’t have such a heavy performance hit.

I think what makes this slow is the scan of the entire file to find the string that’s being typed into the search box.

This would be much faster if the search was only done when the Search button was clicked, and then only search until the first match is found. Don’t search the entire file for a match as is normally done.

0 Likes

0 Likes