Sublime Forum

diff_command in Sublime SFTP plug-in

I was wondering if anyone had any experience setting up an external Diff tool with the SFTP plug-in. Or, for that matter, replacing the built-in diffing. I tried the following setting in my SFTP settings file:

“diff_command”: “bbdiff %1$s %2$s”,

In an attempt to use BBEdit’s command line diffing tool. But the program simply continues to use the built-in diffing.

On a related note, is there documentation on how to use the built-in diffing tool? I can only figure out how to view the differences in files… I cannot figure out how to do anything else.

Thanks for any help people can point me to!

Scott

0 Likes

If you look at the default settings file, you’ll see the command need to be an array of parameters. For example:

"diff_command": "/usr/bin/meld", "%1$s", "%2$s"]

From your post, I’d say you are looking for:

"diff_command": "bbdiff", "%1$s", "%2$s"]
0 Likes

wbond,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I can’t seem to get the settings to work. I continue to just get the built-in tool. I guess I should just try to figure out how to use the built-in diffing. Does the built-in Diff simply show differences between the files and the file then needs to be edited manually? Are there any key combinations to speed up merging the differences? I know that is an incredibly newbie question but I have done some searching and can’t seem to find anything about how to interact with the generated differences in Sublime Text 2.

Scott

0 Likes

If that is not working, it may be that bbdiff is not in the system PATH, so you may need to provide the full path to it.

The built in diff viewer just presents a diff in a new Sublime buffer. There is no merge functionality.

0 Likes

Thanks again for the reply. I did a which in the Terminal for bbdiff to get the full path and changed the config setting to:

“diff_command”: “/usr/local/bin/bbdiff”, “%1$s”, “%2$s”],

Still no go. Oh well. I do appreciate you trying to help. The SFTP functionality of the plug-in works brilliantly.

0 Likes